Growth on Boston Terrier's Eyelid

by Dawn M.
(Chincoteague, VA)

About a month ago we noticed a growth on our Boston terrier's right eyelid. It grew extremely fast, which has me worried. It is now very large, as you can see in the pictures.

I am worried because it is so close to the edge of his eyelid, I hope it won't split it open.

I have been treating it with a Silver Shield Gel, anti-viral herbs and Omega 3. He rubs it on the furniture, blankets, bed etc and it does bleed. Then it scabs up and he rubs it and it bleeds again. I noticed he shakes his head a lot now.

My main concerns are if it is cancerous and/or if it should be removed.

Hoss is a 5 year old, purebred Boston Terrier. He weighs 33 pounds, but the vet says he is just built big, not overweight. He is a very playful, energetic, loving, gentle boy. I feed him all organic dog food. He has only had one health issue and that is Lyme's Disease which he was diagnosed with about a year ago. He was treated with antibiotics. He gets his vaccines regularly, and now he gets a Lyme vaccine as well.

Thank you for your time!

Comments for Growth on Boston Terrier's Eyelid

My Online Vet Response for: Growth on Boston Terrier's Eyelid

August 23, 2014

Hi Dawn,

From the photos you sent of Hoss, with the wartlike growth above his right eyelid, it may be a mast cell tumor, or a benign growth.

"...need to know if it is cancerous and/or if it should be removed."

I cannot tell that just from the photo. But I suggest you try some homeopathic remedies first before resorting to surgery.

"I feed him all organic dog food."
Is this canned, dry or a RAW diet? The BEST diet to feed would be a RAW diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food options, Gradually add some into the food he is eating now, so it is a slow transition over the next 3-6 weeks.

"He has had...Lyme's Disease which he was diagnosed with about a year ago. He was treated with antibiotics. He gets his vaccines regularly, and now he gets a Lyme vaccine as well."

In holistic medicine, growths, warts or tumors that appear after vaccines are given, is a condition called vaccinosis. Treatment is done with homeopathic remedies that are useful for this condition.

I suggest you start with the remedy, Thuya, (Thuja occidentalis). Give Hoss one pellet of a 30C or 200C potency, one time daily for 3 days. Then stop.

Wait for 3 weeks. Monitor if the growth is the same, smaller or larger. If it is smaller, then wait longer. If it is the same, then give him ONE dose, (one pellet) of the remedy. If it is larger, then he may need a different remedy. As the homeopathic treatment of a case can become involved, it may be too complicated to continue in an online advice column, and I would advise you seek the help of a holistic veterinarian.

You should also seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form for him to AVOID future vaccines.

In the meantime, keeping the growth dry, may help to decrease his tendency to rub or scratch it. You can use hydrogen peroxide on it to clean it, especially if it is bleeding. (Try to avoid getting any into his eye.)