Growth on Belly of my Golden Retriever Puppy

by Stephanie B.
(Rockville, MD)

My 18 month golden retriever puppy has a growth on her lower belly that is concerning me. Our vet is VERY expensive and I wanted to see if we should take her immediately.

We first noticed the growth on July 15th, 2014. It was very small at the time. It look like a inflamed nipple. That's what we thought it was until we realized her nipple was actually about half an inch from the growth. It has increased in size in the past month and a half. It does not seem to bother her.

The growth is round and raised. It is like there is a pink "doughnut" of skin with blood vessels around the outside of a center that is turning white, but turning black. It is solid and not squishy. I can pinch the skin around it and it feels like it is just growing on the skin, not like there is any lump under it below the skin.

It is now the size of quarter.

Any idea what this could be? Should we take her to the vet to be examined? We originally thought it was a scab that would go away but it is clear that it is continuing to grow.

Photos Attached. Thanks!!

Stephanie B.

Comments for Growth on Belly of my Golden Retriever Puppy

My Online Vet Response for: Growth on Belly of my Golden Retriever Puppy

September 1, 2014

Hi Stephanie,
At 18 months of age, your puppy is at the stage between 6 months to 2 years where mast cell tumors and warts are very common.

Although, warts can appear at younger than 6 months, and mast cell tumors can appear at up to 5-6 years of age.

If you wish to treat it by conventional methods, your veterinarian will advise surgical removal and analysis of the tissue.
1. If it is a wart, more will appear.
2. If it is a mast cell tumor, more will appear.

Continuing to give vaccinations will ensure that more will appear. Vaccines seem to trigger the appearance of warts, growths, tumors etc. creating a condition in susceptible individuals called, 'vaccinosis'.

If you wish to treat this by 'holistic' methods, using a healthy diet, homeopathic remedies, immune support, and NO MORE vaccinations, it is a little harder work, but your dog will be much healthier overall!

For holistic treatment,
1. Diet: See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html, and consider feeding her a RAW diet. As she is a large breed dog, you may need to compromise and feed a diet in which each meal is: part RAW, part canned, and part dry.

2. Homeopathic remedy: Give her a dose of Thuya, (Thuja occidentalis) 12C or 30C. Dissolve one pellet in a 2 oz glass dropper bottle filled with Spring Water. Then succuss the remedy, (shake the bottle by hitting it against the palm of your hand) 20 times prior to each dose.

Give by mouth, TWO times daily for the next 3 days (if 30C) or

TWO times daily for 3 weeks (if 12C). Do not repeat again. Monitor the growth over the next month and report back with an update on size, color, etc. A photo is best!

3. Immune support: Try one of these supplements.

4. Vaccinations: to avoid future vaccinations, seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form.

And there are several very good holistic veterinarians in your area of Rockville, Maryland!