Growth on Back Leg

by Shawn
(Mountain Home, Arkansas, USA)

The Growth Now (5-29-2010)

The Growth Now (5-29-2010)

My dog's growth started out looking like a tick, then it grew in size, ruptured and bled. It has not bled since and does not seem to bother her, although she licks it occasionally.

I would like to know what the growth is and what steps need to be taken.

Comments for Growth on Back Leg

My Online Vet Response to Growth on Back Leg

Hi Shawn,
You did not mention how quickly this growth has been there. If it started off as the size of a tick and has grown to this size in 2-3 weeks or a few months, I would advise having it surgically removed and submitted for a biopsy.

A growth that enlarges that quickly and has bled could be a hemangioma. The physical appearance between a benign hemangioma and a malignant hemangiosarcoma, are very subtle and best differentiated by a biopsy.

On the other hand, if this has been slowly growing over the past 4-5 years, and has flared up recently (especially after a vaccination), then having it treated by a holistic veterinarian with a homeopathic remedy, improvement in diet, and avoiding vaccinations, would be another option.

Certainly taking her to a holistic veterinarian for a more in-depth checkup would be advised. A holistic veterinarian would advise you on your dog's diet, history of vaccinations, and AVOIDING vaccinations in the future. Dr. Pitcairn's book, Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, states that "giving vaccinations to a dog with cancer (or tumors), is like pouring gasoline on a fire."

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click on the following link: