Growth Inside Dog's Ear

by Crystal

Our Sweet Baby

Our Sweet Baby

Our Sweet Baby

Our 12 year old baby girl Joli (a rat terrier) has developed a growth on the inside of her ear. She isn't having any pain, or loss of appetite and has been acting completely normal - however we can not seem to get rid of the growth.

It does respond well to the shots that she gets from the vet, it shrinks and the density of the growth seems to be less (after she receives a shot but it's only temporary).

In the beginning of this ordeal, Our vet advised us that the growth was a tumor and after shots and ointments, she had a surgery to remove the growth. We thought we had addressed the issue for good, but just a couple of weeks later, the inside of her ear began to swell again, it reached it's worst point in December, it grew rapidly and had nearly consumed the entire width of her ear.

She has been to the veterinarian continuously, and the shots seem to be the only thing right now that stunts the growth of the mass. I've been bringing her in to the vet every 7-10 days so we can try to control this after a shot the size reduces drastically but within a few days it gets larger.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts as to what I am dealing with, or what we can do. I'm going to enclose a few photos, one is heartbreaking for me to share because it is when the tumor was at it's worst.

It also looks like it moved from inside her ear to the outer edge of her ear. It doesn't itch her, there is no odor, at it's worst stage it did bleed a couple of times, but it hasn't bled in over a month.

Thank you in advance.

Comments for Growth Inside Dog's Ear

My Online Vet Response for: Growth Inside Dog's Ear

January 22, 2015

Hi Crystal,
From the photos you sent of Joli's ear, from beginning stages to the last one at its worst appearance, I agree with your veterinarian, that it is a tumor. I suspect the injections your veterinarian is giving to Joli is cortisone, to help decrease the swelling and redness of the mass. This is basically 'suppressing' the growth, not helping her body to heal, because when the injection wears off, then the growth returns.

And each time it returns from suppression, it will be worse than it was previously. Basically, to help her 'heal', you must boost her immune system. This is done in a number of ways.

1. NO more vaccinations. (especially if this appeared after receiving a vaccine!) Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click on the link below

2. Improve her diet. NO DRY dog food. She must be started on a raw food diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, You will need to gradually introduce this into her diet, adding a small amount to her meals each day. Some good brands are Primal, BRAVO, or Nature's Variety.

3. Immune Supplements:

4. Start her on the homeopathic remedy Calcarea carbonica 6C or 12C. Give one pellet by mouth two times daily for three weeks. You can give her the dry pellet by mouth, or dissolve one pellet in a 2oz glass eye dropper bottle, and fill with Spring Water. Shake the bottle 20 times by hitting it against the palm of your hand, and give her 1/2 dropperful by mouth TWO times daily for 3 weeks.

If she recently received a cortisone injection, the cortisone will interfere with the action of the remedy, so there may not be any changes in several weeks. You may need to give her the Calcarea carbonica longer than 6 weeks, before you see any improvement.