Growth hanging from dog's eyelid

by Jessica
(Dallas, TX, USA)

About a year ago I noticed a small bump hanging from my dog Linus's lower eyelid.. it looked like a sesame seed. The skin around his eyes is a blackish brown, same color as the growth.

Over time it has gotten bigger, but it seems to shoot off and now is a cluster and lays flat. The piece of skin that attaches it to his eyelid is literally like a thread...the actual growth is almost dangling from the thread like piece of skin.

Linus is around 7 years old, min pin/mix. I bought him from an add in the paper when he was about a puppy, never entirely sure about his exact age or breed - he's about the size of a jack russell.

I took him to the vet and she didn't seem at all concerned. She said when he has his teeth cleaned and is under GA they can take it off.

He had one slightly raised liver enzyme when he had blood work done so they gave me some meds and said they'd like to get that one enzyme back down. After I showed concerned about his liver enzyme she told me it was just the one that was raised and was literally only like 100 points above normal, and wasn't concerned about this either.

The growth gives him no pain. He will let me touch it...he doesn't bother with it either. He's has no change in behavior or his eating. He's as happy and playful as ever.

My concern is that I asked the vet what this could be and she just sort of blew it off... I asked her if he could just be sedated and given something local to numb it and take it off (the piece attaching it looks as though it could literally be snipped off with nail clippers). I'm concered she is trying to get me to put him under general anesthesia for something so minor.

Any idea on what this could be? Should I be concerned? Can this be removed locally? Anything I can do on my own?

Again, he is in no pain, and as happy as can be...I just worry that the vet may be giving me the run around.

Comments for Growth hanging from dog's eyelid

My Online Vet Response for Growth hanging from dog's eyelid
by: Dr.Carol Jean Tillman

Hi Jessica,
From the photo you submitted of Linus' eye, the growth certainly looks like it is "hanging by a thread".

I do not see any reason why it could not be removed in an office visit using a local.

Of course, if Linus tried to bite, or is difficult to handle while in the vet office, then that may be why it was suggested to wait until he is under general anesthesia.

Other considerations would be that the 'base' of the growth may not be removed with a local, and therefore could come back.

But sending the growth in for a histopath to determine if the entire growth was removed would settle that question. It certainly looks like a benign growth.

Also, if he does have severe dog dental disease that may be a reason to schedule a teeth cleaning and remove the growth at that time.

In the meantime, supporting his liver is of the paramount importance at this time. Give milk thistle, 8mg per pound two times daily. Provide a diet that is more carbohydrate, medium protein and low fat.

A homemade diet would be composed of 1/2 rice, potato or yam, 1/4 vegetables, (carrots, green beans, zucchini, broccoli) and 1/4 meat. See Dr. Pitcairn's book, Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, for more details on holistic support for liver disease.

Also, seeking out the help of a holistic veterinarian might be the best for Linus.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Eye Problems Section,

remove growth with dental floss

Can I just tye a piece of dental floss around the growth and let it fall off and heal naturally?

My Online Vet Response for: Growth hanging from dog's eyelid

Hi Jessica,
Tying a piece of dental floss or silk around the growth, it will take 2-4 weeks at least for it to fall off. In the meantime, if it starts to swell, itch or burn, or bother Linus, you would need to keep an E-Collar on him to prevent him from rubbing it, making it bleed, or possibly getting infected.

It is difficult to explain to my 'animal' patients to LEAVE something alone. Therefore, applying some proparacaine liquid, or novacaine drops to the growth, to numb it, and one quick 'snip' to remove it, using styptic powder to control bleeding, would be the best plan.

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us
by clicking the like button at the top of the left
margin
. Thank you!