Grey Dog Skin Patches Near Genitals

by Claryce

My 11 year old Yorkshire Terrier has a skin condition that I noticed recently. It looked like a gray patch that was not raised, but near her genital area it seemed more like a discoloration of the skin.

There seems to be a few more patches that have scabbed. They are about the size of nickel and are migrating away from the genitals. There is NO redness or any indication of bleeding that may have taken place.

Her tummy is shaved when she's groomed (which hasn't happened recently), but the hair is always fairly short on her tummy. She doesn't seem to lick or be uncomfortable (in pain).

Every other part of her routine remains the same. She's eating and excreting normally. She's acting normally.

What do you think this could be?

Comments for Grey Dog Skin Patches Near Genitals

My Online Vet Response for: Grey Dog Skin Patches Near Genitals

September 15, 2013

Hi Claryce,

Your 11 year old female Yorkshire Terrier has superficial pyoderma. These are patches of infected hair follicles. It may be due to skin fold dermatitis around her vulva. (Moisture is trapped in the skin folds and bacteria multiplies.)

If she has dental disease, increased tartar, or periodontal problems, the bacteria from her mouth can also contribute to this, when she cleans herself after urination.

You will need to bathe and scrub this area one time daily for 5-7 days. Use something mild such as Baby shampoo. Rinse and dry well. Try to peel off these scabs if they are dried up enough, as bacteria will remain trapped under the scabs.

When this condition occurs in an older patient, I am very concerned that there may be an underlying stress causing a decrease in her immune system. You may need to improve her diet, NO DRY DOG food. Healthy skin needs moisture. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html. And consider a RAW diet for her.

A complete Blood Panel including Thyroid would be a good idea as part of an annual check up for her. And check her teeth!

If she was recently vaccinated prior to this skin condition occurring, I would be suspicious of a problem called 'vaccinosis'. In holistic medicine, any disease arising after or due to a vaccination. This is treated with homeopathic remedies and immune support, good diet and NO more vaccinations. A holistic veterinarian would be able to help, and write an exemption form for her.