Gray/copper discoloration of dog's eye

by Belinda
(Elizabethtown, PA, USA)

right eye with flash

right eye with flash

Our dog developed gray/copper discoloration of eye about one week ago. It does not appear to affect her (not rubbing or closing eye) except for some increased discharge. Discharge is normal color, just increased in amount.

Dog diet is Iams and lifestyle is sedentary. She is a 9.5 year old pure bred German shepherd.

Comments for Gray/copper discoloration of dog's eye

My Online Vet Response for Gray/copper discoloration of dog's eye

Hi Belinda,
The color change in your dog's right eye is due to hemorrhage behind the lens of her eye. PLEASE take her to a veterinarian ASAP.

From the photos you sent it is not clear if the bleeding is actually behind the lens or just behind the cornea of her eye (called hyphema). If she has been bleeding for the past week, I am not sure if the damage is to the retina, optic nerve or if she has a tumor that has been growing inside her eye.

You can go to your 'regular' veterinarian, but a veterinary ophthalmologist would be best.

A holistic veterinarian would be able to guide you in improving her diet (something better than Iams) and advise AGAINST any more vaccinations.

Check our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and consider feeding her some of the raw diets that are available.

As I mentioned, I am not sure what caused her problem, but it would not hurt to feed her the most nutritious diet possible to help her heal and prevent any future problems from occurring.

A good homeopathic veterinarian about 100 miles from you is Dr. Shelley Epstein:
Shelley R. Epstein, VMD
Wilmington Animal Hospital
828 Philadelphia Pike
Wilmington, DE 19809
(302)762-2694

Otherwise, to find a 'general' holistic veterinarian (not necessarily specializing in homeopathy) in your area click here:

Also check the Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy for a veterinarian knowledgeable in homeopathy.