Gooey, Bloody Growth on Dog's Eye Getting Bigger

by Erin

My 10 year old American Staffordshire had what looked to be a small stye on the bottom of his eye lid a couple weeks ago. I noticed that his eye seemed to be watery and the stye was getting a little bigger last week.

Today I noticed it has gotten much bigger, and when I went to wipe his eye, there was dark goo and a little blood from it. It doesn't seem to bother him, or at least he doesn't act like it does.

Is this something I need to take him to the vet for? Do you know what it could be? Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments for Gooey, Bloody Growth on Dog's Eye Getting Bigger

My Online Vet Response for: Gooey, Bloody Growth on Dog's Eye Getting Bigger

September 27, 2014

Hi Erin,
Although, two of the photos are a bit out of focus, from what I can see of the third photo, it appears to be an infected Meibomian gland cyst. These are the glands that line the eyelashes.

It would be best to take him to a holistic veterinarian. Treatment with homeopathic remedies to shrink it and make it go away, would be preferable to surgical removal. Also, a holistic veterinarian will be able to write an exemption form for him to avoid any more vaccinations. Vaccines seem to contribute to the formation of growths, cysts, warts, etc.

In the meantime, use saline to remove the eye drainage. If more drainage accumulates it can cause a conjunctivitis inside his eye. You can buy a bottle at Walgreen's or any local pharmacy. Use gauze or cotton soaked in saline to wipe the area, or direct a stream of saline at the area to flush it, then clean his face with cotton or gauze. This may need to be done at least 3 times daily, until you can get him to a holistic veterinarian.

As I mentioned earlier, I would limit any future vaccinations, and have an exemption form written.

Also, he should be on a healthy diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options,, and consider feeding him a RAW diet. Or, if it not possible to go 100% raw, try to decrease the dry food, and feed 1/3 of each meal dry, 1/3 canned, and 1/3 raw.

DRY Dog food is NOT healthy for dogs, (or for cats, either!) Make it a slow transition. See our September Newsletter. (enter your email to subscribe in the right margin.)