Gallstones in Dog

by Janene
(Los Angeles, CA)

R I took my 11 year old male Brussels Griffon in to the vet due to occasionaly gagging. They took x-rays and found his stomach had shifted.

I had an ultra sound as recommended by the vet. They found stones in his stomach. I want to know what options there are other than surgery. He is an older dog, and I don't want to put him through that.

Comments for Gallstones in Dog

My Online Vet Response For: Gallstones in Dog

December 18, 2014

Hi Janeane,
Your subject title is 'Gallstones in Dog', but you wrote,
"...his stomach had shifted. I had an ultra sound as recommended by the vet. They found stones in his stomach."

Gallstones are found in the gall bladder, next to the liver. Gallstones are composed mostly of cholesterol and are rare in dogs. Did he eat stones, or rocks, and now they are in his stomach? Perhaps he could have them removed via an endoscope? This would require anesthesia, but no incision. Only inserting the endoscope down his throat to his stomach, and pulling the stones out that way.

Please clarify your question. And I do agree with you, at 11 years old, he is too old for a surgery, but stones or rocks in his stomach will need to be removed somehow. Or perhaps he has elevated liver enzymes, that indicates he has some gall bladder inflammation?

gallbladder problems

Last June my 13 yr old Red Bone Coonhound mix had to have his gallbladder removed. He was lethargic, would not eat, but would drink. His liver enzymes were off the chart. Had to take him to a specialty emergency clinic 3 hours from my home. Unfortunately they were not equipped w/scoping equipment. Had a large incision on his belly. He was sore but did well. Was told this is not a very common condition in dogs & his diet had nothing to do with the ailment. Fortunately he no longer is on liver medications. He's his normal self again.

Good luck!

gallbladder problems

Good luck!

gallbladder problems

Good luck!

My Online Vet Response for: Gallstones in Dog

December 20, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experiences with your big dog. I am glad the surgery to remove his gall bladder went well, and he has recovered and is back to normal!