Full body rash on my dog

by Sam

red belly

red belly

red belly
eating paws

My dog Rocky has a rash on his belly, down his legs and pretty much all over his body. He also will eat the pads of his paws.

Rocky, a 5 year old Pitbull, constantly scratches and walks around looking miserable. I have bought sprays, lotions and all kinds of bath products and NOTHING.

He sometimes has a smell to him and his skin gets really oily. He doesn't go outside anymore to play... he just lays around.

I have recently changed his food to organic (wet and dry) and I have seen somewhat of a change but not enough to say he is ok. I need help!!

I didn't know if there was something I can do for him at home before I had no choice but to take him to the vet. I really need my dog to play like he used to and not lay around scratching and biting himself.

Thank you,
Stacey M.

Comments for Full body rash on my dog

Immediate remedy
by: Wei Ling

What triggers the sudden appearance of rashes that your dog didn't have previously? I'll leave the vet to answer your question but some immediate relief that was recommended by the vet that works perfectly with my dog includes:

1. Bathe the dog using a oatmeal shampoo

2. Use Rescue remedy for pets. Dr tillman recommended it to me and a swear by it.

"Use RESCUE REMEDY, diluted 10 drops in 2 oz of Spring Water. Give several drops in her mouth as needed every 15 minutes to calm her. Rescue Remedy can also be applied to those areas of her skin that are red and itchy to help calm the skin down."

My dog breaks into serious rashes all over once in a while previously due to all sorts of reason eg itch after grooming. The rashes became hives on the underside. Rescue remedy calms her especially when take both orally n by spraying. It prevents her from scratching till the skin is inflamed. For my dog, once she stop scratching for 6-8 hours, the rashes will subside.

The rashes from the picture seems to have dried out but the lines are caused by his nails? You can spray (organic pure) aloe Vera juice to smoothen it too.

Of course, you need to find out the cause of the allergy. There are homeopathic medicine that are good too. This, I leave it to the vet to comment.

My five cents worth cos it reminds me of my dog and I understand the heartache seeing him like that.

My Online Vet Response for: Full body rash on my dog

Hi Sam and Stacey,
The 2 photos you submitted were the same, even though one was labelled 'red belly' and the other said 'eating paws'.

Wei Ling has given some excellent advice that might help Rocky, and I will repeat what she said, "you need to find out the cause of the problem."

In my opinion, looking at the photo of Rocky's red rash on his belly, the rash down his legs, and he is eating the pads of his paws, I suspect that he has a contact allergy. He is allergic to something to which he is laying in contact. BUT also, you need to rule out sarcoptic and demodectic mange mites, secondary bacterial infection and/or yeast infection.

Topical medication alone will not be effective. Diet change is a good start, and I suggest a check on our page for 10 Best Dog Food Options. Consider a RAW diet for Rocky, perhaps with a little canned food, but NO DRY DOG FOOD.

Bathing 2 times per week with an oatmeal shampoo to help decrease the itching, as Wei Ling mentioned, and topical (and oral) use of Rescue Remedy to 'calm' the skin, and calm Rocky. Follow with an apple cider 'foot bath' to soak each foot, diluted 50% with water. This will help take care of yeast problems, if that is an issue.

I strongly advise a visit to a holistic veterinarian for a skin scraping, and exam. Rocky may also need some immune system supplements, such as:

And NO more vaccinations, which can wreak havoc with the immune system and may have triggered this skin problem in the first place!

Answer to dog rash questionHi my

Hi my sons dog started having similar issues ,itch like crazyand we found out she has an allergy to fleas Ive read it can be something in their saliva. She will break out in hives and itch like mad on her body and chew the heck out of the insides of her paws--the part up past the foot pads till they are red and or bleeding. The main thing for her was to treat for fleas and childrens dye fee benedryl.

Thank you for your comments. Treating for fleas using natural products, see our page on http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-flea-medicine.html, and using EVOLV by www.wondercide.com is the best way to take care of flea allergies.

There are alternatives to antihistamines, such as Benadryl, though.

If you have a question, I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

Best home made remedy for dog rashes

I found out that the best remedy for rashes is to mix water with baking soda. I tried everything on my dogs and nothing else worked but this worked. Just mix the two ingredients and rub it everywhere itching stops immediately.

My Online Vet Response for: Full Body Rash on my Dog

August 2, 2013

" the best remedy for rashes is to mix water with baking soda.... Just mix the two ingredients and rub it everywhere itching stops immediately."

While this is a good remedy to reduce redness and swelling, for example with a bee sting, I do not like to use it 'everywhere'. If too much is licked off and swallowed, it will cause GI upset. Baking soda is alkaline, and a dog's stomach actually needs to be 10X more acidic than a human.

Finding out what is causing the itching, and treating the cause, is the best course of action. Thanks for your suggestion!