Frequent dog heat cycles

by Andrea
(Chicago, IL, USA)

My 2 year old unspayed female Bullmastiff started her first 2 heat cycles, which were normal at at about every 6 months. That was last year.

This year she already had 4 around every 2 months which is already unusual, but we just got back from a vacation a month ago where she was in heat and today I noticed her 'leaking.' I don't know if a new cycle is coming or if it is part of the other one ending.

A few months ago - a few weeks after she was in heat - she had some discharge and I was worried it was pyrometra so we went to the vet and they said everything was normal. I also noticed discharge almost permanently.

Obviously pyro is my biggest fear but I also don't believe being in heat so often is healthy. In addition, I am worried about spaying her and the complications and pain it comes with.

What is the right thing to do?

Thank you,

Andrea

Comments for Frequent dog heat cycles

My Online Vet Response for Frequent dog heat cycles

Hi Andrea,
Your concerns regarding the potential for a pyometra are warranted. Although from what you have described, I would be suspicious that your 2 year old Bull Mastiff probably has a cyst on her ovary. This has been producing an imbalance in hormones and causing the persistent estrous symptoms.

She may need to be spayed to correct the problem if she is not responsive to holistic treatment. I would advise seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian, hopefully one that is well versed in homeopathy. A holistic veterinarian will be interested in improving the overall health of your dog, NOT just her reproductive tract.

See our page on alternative medicine for dogs and check out homeopathic care. In this way, if a predisposing factor is at fault for her cystic ovaries, then treatment AND prevention can be addressed.

Other healthy steps include improving diet and considering nutritional supplements to boost her immune system. See our page on the 10 Best Dog Food options and consider including some raw meat into her diet (At her size, it may be cost prohibitive to put her on a 100% raw diet!).

Also, DO NOT give her any vaccinations during this time. It may be that vaccines triggered the formation of this cyst. A holistic veterinarian will be able to write an exemption to 'excuse' her from a Rabies vaccine if she is due.

As I mentioned earlier, if homeopathic remedies, diet, nutritional supplements, etc. do not resolve the problem, at least her health will be at a higher level, and, if she needs surgery to be spayed, then she will be able to handle it much better. A holistic veterinarian will also be able to prescribe homeopathic remedies for any pain, swelling, or bruising that might occur post-op.

Click here find a holistic veterinarian in your area.

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Reproductive Issues Section

Mass, never ending cycle
by: My Shadow

My Shadow has been diagnosed with a mass and has had continuous dripping. started out pink, now red again. What would put her hormones back to normal and break up the mass? Anybody have any suggestions besides spaying as one vet has said Spleenectomy, other vet Pyometra so she is on antibiotics 1000mg. Cephalexin 2 x daily! We don't have the money to spay her, $1300.00, HELP!
This has been ongoing for the last year!!!

My Online Vet Question for: Frequent dog heat cycles

April 12, 2015

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

Including more specific medical info would be helpful, (such as location of mass, lab work, etc) also, age, and breed of Shadow, should be included.