Fluid in dog's throat and ichy, lumpy skin

by Rachel Rippy
(Washington, DC)

My Boston Terrier has had itchy skin since yesterday evening. His throat is also swollen/fluid filled. His skin looks generally lumpy.

We just moved to a new location a few weeks ago, but his food has not changed. It seems like possibly some kind of allergic reaction, possibly from something in the yard?

He also seems a little sluggish, but still wants to play and is acting normal for the most part (eating, using the restroom etc).

Comments for Fluid in dog's throat and ichy, lumpy skin

My Online Vet Response for: Fluid in Dog's throat and itchy, lumpy skin

Hi Rachel,
From the photo you submitted of your Boston Terrier, I can see that the fluid is under the skin, in the 'subcutaneous' part of his neck/NOT actually fluid in his throat.

He appears to have hives, which IS an allergic reaction. He should be seen by a veterinarian ASAP. Preferably a holistic veterinarian, otherwise a conventional vet who will give an anti-histamine injection, and maybe epinephrine, depending on his symptoms by the time you take him to the clinic.

I am not sure why he had an allergic reaction. But he should be treated ASAP. Since his food has not changed (did you have any visitors that gave him a treat?), he may have had an insect sting or bite.

Years ago, I took care of a Boston Terrier that ate some Oyster Stuffing from the turkey. He had a very severe allergic reaction that responded well to conventional treatment.

A holistic veterinarian may be able to sort out what would be best for the long term. I am familiar with Veterinary Holistic Care in Bethesda, Maryland. (301) 656-2882 They may not be too far from you in Washington, DC. Otherwise, to find a holistic veterinarian in your area click on the link below: