Finger-like growths around dog's legs

by Kathy
(Coppell, TX)

finger like growth

finger like growth

My 11 year old male beagle has a few finger-like pink growths around his legs. They are growing longer but don't appear to be bothering him.

I would like to try to treat it at home. He is terrified of the vet and has 3 or 4 of these growths. He also has a cauliflower-shaped growth on another leg.

He lives a pretty sedate lifestyle. He is walked once a day around 1/2 a mile and eats 1/2 cup of dog food 2 times per day. He seems pretty happy and healthy overall.

Could you advise?

Comments for Finger-like growths around dog's legs

My Online Vet Response for: Finger-like growths around dog's legs

Hello,
These are benign 'skin tags' - I place them in the same category as warts in older dogs. They are due to over vaccination.

Contact a holistic veterinarian that does house calls (This way your dog will NOT be subjected to the stress of a vet visit!). With an examination to confirm what you have shown in the photo, the veterinarian can write an exemption to excuse your dog from any future vaccinations.

A holistic veterinarian experienced in homeopathic medicine may prescribe a remedy called Thuya. It is to help shrink these wart-like growths. It is given orally, and depending on the physical exam and your dog's 'constitution', he will get either a high potency dose one time, or lower potency with a dose repeated one to two times daily.

He should be on a better diet. Avoid DRY DOG Food, and consider canned or RAW diet. See our page on 10 best dog food options for information and suggestions.

There are other supplements to help with dry skin, but usually upon improvement of the diet, especially the addition of a RAW diet, this all helps the skin and lesions on the skin (there is Vitamin C in raw meat).

Since dogs produce vitamin C in their bodies, it is not added to dog food. As dogs age, I am concerned that their production of Vitamin C diminishes, along with their immune system.

Adding Vitamin C to the diet you must make sure it is buffered, and NOT ascorbic acid. A dog's stomach contains 10 times MORE Hydrochloric acid than people. Therefore, it is easier to just add raw meat to the diet, which contains the Vitamin C naturally.

DO not give your dog RAW PORK or RAW FISH. Try to find prepared raw diets for dogs in the freezer section of pet supply or health food stores. Then you thaw it, and feed it!

And continue the exercise, fresh air and lots of love for your canine companion!

- Dog Skin Conditions