Feeding Puppies a Natural Food Diet

by Sheila
(Bermuda)

I sadly lost my golden retriever last year to lymphoma - I changed him to a natural diet when he was five and he loved it. I will be getting two golden pups in three weeks time and would like them to also be on a natural food diet, but am concerned that they won't get the extra nutrients that they will require during their growing stage.

The dogs are currently being fed Royal Canin kibble and on reading various articles it seems that the advice is to keep them on the food they are familiar with to start with. Can you please share your thoughts on this?

Thanks, Sheila

Comments for Feeding Puppies a Natural Food Diet

My Online Vet Response for: Feeding Puppies a Natural Food Diet

Hi Sheila,
Sorry to hear about the loss of your Golden Retriever last year. But I am happy to hear about your two NEW additions!

Feeding your puppies a natural raw food diet can be difficult if you are trying to make your own food. Dr. Richard Pitcairn, a holistic veterinarian who teaches veterinary homeopathy to other veterinarians, has excellent recipes in his book, "Natural Health for Dogs and Cats".

Feeding a raw 'prepared' diet, which you can buy frozen, and then just thaw it to feed your puppies is much easier. Check out some of these below:

Primal for puppies, http://www.primalpetfoods.com/education/feeding,

- Bravo!

- DARWIN'S

- BARF WORLD--(Bones and Raw Food)

Of course, it is best to gradually transition from the dry kibble, mixing it in to the 'raw natural' diet, small amounts at a time, to allow the puppies to become adjusted to the natural diet. Working with a holistic veterinarian, regarding vaccinations, deworming, and heartworm prevention is also as important as diet.

- 10 Best Dog Food Options,
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Food Diet - Dog Food, Dog Treats & Homemade Dog Food Recipes Section