Fat Food Syndrome; Lymphatic System Issues & Treatment

by Judi
(Lake Oswego, OR)

I have a 2.5 year old Great Dane who for the second time in 3 months has developed Fat Foot Syndrome. Something not altogether rare for Danes. But of the 4 Danes I have owned this is the first one who has experienced this problem. But this condition is still not commonly known to many vets.

She has been on meds both times, antibiotics and Rimadyl etc. This time is a bit worse than last with swelling and also enlargement of the lymph node in the leg. The first time it was a single front paw. This time a single back paw. I will be taking her on to a specialist to do an ultrasound and further tests to eliminate issues/causes.

My question right now after speaking with several knowledgeable breeders I know: if this is considered a lymphatic condition that may be helped by lymphatic massage and some supplements...which supplements? She is simply not draining toxins as she should.

I have found ads for C Caps and Detox and quite honestly am not sure what is best for aiding the lymphatic system. So what do you believe the best supplements are for the lymphatic system?

Comments for Fat Food Syndrome; Lymphatic System Issues & Treatment

My Online Vet Response For: Fat Foot Syndrome; Lymphatic System Issues & Treatment

Hi Judi,
The term 'Fat Foot Syndrome' is a new one for me. I am familiar with Lymphedema in dogs, which is the main problem that you are concerned with in your 2.5 year old Great Dane. I found this site which discusses the problem in more detail.

For herbs for Lymphatic Drainage, click here.

If this problem is a genetic condition or primary Lymphedema, it may be more difficult to treat, and the goal may be to control the condition.

If it is secondary to some other problem, then treatment of whatever is causing the abnormal lymphatic drainage should be addressed.

Either way, seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian to treat with homeopathic remedies or Chinese herbs and acupuncture may be a more efficient way to take care of her.

I advise NO MORE vaccinations until she is healthy. In the meantime, have a holistic veterinarian write an exemption form for her.

She should be on a healthy diet. NO DRY DOG food. Dry dog food will cause her to retain fluids, the fresher and more moisture in the food will promote fluid flow and improve hydration.

She should have her immune system supported, and provide her with plenty of Vitamins and Minerals. Try these:

- Canine Whole Body Support, a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement by Standard Process

- Immune system support:

Dog Symptom Checker - Photo, Question & Answer Library for Thousands of Dog Symptoms

Fat Foot Syndrome;Lymphatic system

I took my girl to a specialist who in turn wanted me to see another specialist. Both are just great.

Right now it is not known if this is lymphedema or vascultis. I was given information such as a circular pattern that sometimes occurs on the paws or a loose nail bed to help identify if it might be vasculitis instead of lymphedema.

There is quite a bit out there on other breeds but Danes remain under tested and many I know are following this case closely for more information.
The GDCA recently did a survey and sadly only 1337 total in the US responded. Of that only 3.2% had done a necropsy. So unlike breeds like Shepherds and Dobies we are often flying blind.

Right now she has been to the second specialist and if/when we have another incident she can come right in so we can do a punch biopsy and definitively identify the condition so we can properly treat. So far we are good.

I am not sure this helps much but hope so.