Eye problem

by Malachi
(Chicago, il)

dog eye growth or protrusion - photo 1

dog eye growth or protrusion - photo 1

dog eye growth or protrusion - photo 1
dog eye growth or protrusion - photo 2
dog eye growth or protrusion - photo 3
Blu

My dog, Blu, has what appears to be a growth or protrusion in the left eye. It started Friday (6/28/13).

On Saturday the 29th Blu was taken to the vet and it was examined and recommended that we send a sample to the lab for a diagnoses. That sounded a bit extreme at the time so we decided to give it a few days of monitoring. Four days later the growth or protrusion is about the same.

Blu, a 2 year old male doberman, is a very active and happy dog... that has not changed. He does however rub both sides of his face on the carpet, my guess would be to scratch the eye due to irritation.

Comments for Eye problem

My Online Vet Response for: Eye Problem

Hi Malachi,

From the photos it is difficult to tell if the problem is due to a prolapse of the gland of the third eyelid or an actual growth on the third eyelid.

Since Blue is only 2 years old, a growth on the third eyelid would be very unlikely. Prolapse of the third eyelid is much more common, and could certainly be caused by irritation from rubbing the eye area or from inflammation of the gland itself. Weakness of the cartilage inside the third eyelid, and an enlarged gland, is what is causing it to protrude from the margin of the third eyelid.

As you took him for an examination, and the veterinarian was interested in obtaining a 'sample' of the tissue, they must have been suspicious that it is a growth. I suggest you go to a holistic veterinarian for a second opinion.

In the meantime, apply 2-3 drops of olive oil into his eye 3-4 times daily to provide moisture and lubrication. You may need to monitor him, so he does not continue to traumatize the area and cause more damage.

The homeopathic remedy Calcarea carbonica is good for inflammation of the lachrymal glands. Give Blue Calcarea carbonica 12C, one pellet dissolved in 2 OZ of Spring water, by mouth, two times daily for the next 3 weeks.

Succuss the remedy by hitting the bottle against the palm of your hand 20 times before each dose. Dr Richard Pitcairn's book, Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats can provide more details regarding the use of homeopathic remedies.