Eye Irritation - Cornea Trauma or Third Eyelid Inflammation

by Gail DeGagne
(Henderson, NV, USA)

Casey's Eye Irritation Photo

Casey's Eye Irritation Photo

My 11 year female black labrador has irritated eyes. Her left eye has a tannish black growth on the upper lid the size of a small pea with some 'eye boogers' daily. Her right eye has growth inside the lower lid that looks like her inner lid is growing up onto her eye. She is in no pain, eating well and playful and appears to see fine from both eyes.

This has been going on for about three weeks and I have not seen a vet, thinking it would go away. I have also not put anything into her eye to date.

She did have an eye issue a few years back when she ran into a plant in our backyard and it eventually went away on its own. The only thing similar to me from that time to this is that her lower lid (similar to her right eye issue) was growing up onto the eyeball.

Please let me know if you have any issues seeing the picture.

Comments for Eye Irritation - Cornea Trauma or Third Eyelid Inflammation

My Online Vet Response to Eye Irritation 11 year old Blk Lab

Hi Gail,
From your photo, it is difficult to tell about her right eye if the 'growth' is on her third eyelid or on the inner conjunctiva of her lower eyelid. Swelling of the third eyelid might also have the same appearance, as if her inner lid was growing up into the eyeball.

Either way, her eye appears red, and irritated, and she should be seen by a veter- inarian.

And the left eye, which is not very clear in the photo, should also be checked. If the growth on the lid is causing her to produce a constant mucous eye discharge, it indicates there is some trauma to her cornea.

Since dogs do not have as many nerves to the cornea as humans, they will not exhibit as much pain as a person would, if we had something in our eye.

In the Henderson, Nevada area, you are not too far from a good holistic veterinary hospital, the Animal Kingdom Veterinary Hospital, 702 735-7184.

Or you could go to a conventional veterinary ophthalmologist, for a diagnosis, and then to a holistic vet for alternative treatment.