Excessive Puppy Vomiting & Diarrhea

by Virginia
(Sparks, NN)

My pet is a male minature dachshund. Beau is 11 months old. His symptoms began on Sunday, December 14. He threw up in the night, a lot. At least two days of food. Stopped eating. Developed watery diahrea, no substance.

We took him to our vet. She took xrays to check for a blockage and thought she saw some substance. Hydrated him through the skin and gave him some white stuff to pass the blockage. Prescribed Cerenia for nausea. Next day x-ray again. Empty dog. Hydrated again. Told to feed Royal Canin Gastro intestinal dog food mixed with rice. Would not eat. Next day fed Gerbers chicken baby food with added rice. Ate this, but diahrea again. Same next day.

Back to vet. Told to feed boiled fresh lean chicken breast mixed with rice. Beau eats this, but no the rice. Tried some pumpkin mixed with rice. No go. Tried kibble, no.

Still very loose stool. Frequently.

Virginia

Comments for Excessive Puppy Vomiting & Diarrhea

My Online Vet Response For: Excessive Puppy Vomiting & Diarrhea

December 22, 2014

Hi Virginia,
Please take your puppy to a clinic to do a PARVO test. I am very concerned your puppy may have a viral or bacterial gastro-enteritis. Parvo virus is a very serious illness that will cause vomiting and diarrhea, anorexia, and dehydration, that can lead to death if not treated. A foreign object in the intestine or stomach would not cause him to have a decreased appetite. He would still want to eat, but would not be able to hold it down.

It sounds like your puppy has no interest in food, and does not want to eat at all. This is more typical of a virus or bacterial infection. Parvo testing can be done with a diarrhea sample, or a blood sample.

You can go to a holistic veterinarian or a conventional veterinarian for a diagnosis. He will need more subcutaneous fluids to treat dehydration, B-12/B-vitamin injection, and liquids of chicken broth or beef bouillon, or small amounts of chicken or turkey baby food as long as he is not vomiting liquids. I would NOT force feed him. If he is not interested, then he should only have the fluids by injection.