Effectiveness of Garlic Oil for Dog Ear Infection

by Sarah
(Phoenix, AZ)

My dog Lady is a spaniel/chihuahua mix and is almost 3 years old. She has allergies. She is always itching her eyes, and most often her ears. I am unsure if she has an infection, and how to treat it.

I have been using Epi-Otic with not much change. There is a smell, but it's not horrible.

I have Mullein-Garlic Ear oil that I would like to use, if recommended and will heal the infection. How often and how much should I use this? Do I need to dilute this any further? HOW do I use this? Thank you!

Comments for Effectiveness of Garlic Oil for Dog Ear Infection

My Online Vet Response for: Effectiveness of Garlic Oil for Dog Ear Infection

January 31, 2015

Hi Sarah,
Lady does not have an ear *infection* in her ear. From the photo, and your description of her background info, she has *inflammation* due to allergies. This is causing her ear to produce the increased wax, and making her itch and scratch.

To confirm, you could have a culture and sensitivity done of her ear canal. It takes 3-4 days to get the results back. If anything 'grows' she may have yeast, but that was not the cause of the inflammation, it was a secondary effect from the presence of excess wax, moisture, and warmth inside her ear canal from the allergies.

"I have Mullein-Garlic Ear oil that I would like to use, if recommended and will heal the infection."
It is not an infection. She has 'allergic' otitis. Inflammation secondary to her allergies. It is the allergies that need to be cleared up!

"How often and how much should I use this? Do I need to dilute this any further? HOW do I use this?"
I would not use it. The more moist her ear canal, the more susceptible she may be to yeast or bacterial growth. She appears to have a long ear flap, that when flopped down, will trap moisture inside her ear canal, and make the problem worse.

I suggest you try some Apple cider vinegar, about 1/4 tsp into each ear TWO times per week. Clean out any excess wax discharge on her ear flap and the crevices of the opening to her ear, at that time, 2 times per week. Any more often, and her ear may become more irritated.

To address the allergies:
1. No DRY dog food. Feed her canned or a RAW diet. Check out our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html. Try Primal, Nature's Variety, or Bravo.

2. No more vaccinations. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form.
And to examine her for an appropriate homeopathic remedy to help with her itching and scratching. Also, to look inside her ear canal to check the progress of treatment.

3. Bathe her one time per week with a baby shampoo, (DO NOT get any water in her ears!). Rinse and dry her well.

4. Daily brushing to stimulate her oil glands and prevent dry skin.

5. Immune Supplements: if the above suggestions are not helping, she may need some immune support.