Ear Flap Growths / Warts on Dog

by mia
(Long Island, NY)

My 7 year old male mix developed a growth on his ear a few months ago... with constant picking and squeezing it finally scabbed over and fell off. Now he has developed several of the same kind of growths pictured above and I need to know if it is cancerous.

Is there something I can do to get rid of them?

I can't afford a vet or surgery but if it is cancer I will borrow money to take care of him. I can feel more bumps under the skin getting ready to come through. I hope it's just warts with an easy solution.

He's a rescue from North Shore Animal League on Long Island (doberman and beagle? or coon hound?).

Comments for Ear Flap Growths / Warts on Dog

My Online Vet Response for: Ear Flap Growths/Warts on Dog

March 6, 2014

Hi Mia,
From the photos, these look very much like benign warts. It is really unusual that they are on BOTH the underside and the top of his ear flap. And to occur in multiples, it makes me suspicious that they may be due to the virus that causes canine papillomas. Except that the canine papilloma virus is usually seen in dogs between 6 months to 2 years of age.

If you just adopted him, and/or he was recently vaccinated, then that may have triggered these to appear.

Before taking out a loan for biopsies or surgical removal, try a homeopathic remedy called Thuya occidentalis. This is available at health food stores or online. Give Thuya 30C, one pellet by mouth, one time daily for just 3 days.

You can give him the dry pellets or dissolve one pellet into 2 oz of Spring Water in a dropper bottle. And then give him 1/2 dropperful by mouth one time daily for 3 days.

Report back in 2-3 weeks. Sooner if you have other questions or other problems.

thank you
by: mia

I bought the thuya 30c (thuja?) and gave him one pellet today...tiny little things...
I've had Nutter Butter since he was a puppy (7years) and except for the basics, he isn't overly vaccinated...He was very sick when we adopted him and at that time (2007) was on a lot of different drugs...he was rescued from puppy mill and he was very sick. I am working on changing his diet. Right now I am feeding him Blue Fish/Sweet Potato mixed with equal amounts of water. Thank you and I will check in again in 3 days. As his name implies he is a little crazy but we love him all the same.

thank you
by: mia

March 6, 2014

Hi Mia,
Sounds like you are off to a good start with Nutter Butter!

"I've had Nutter Butter since he was a puppy (7years... he isn't overly vaccinated."

Even ONE vaccination can trigger symptoms of 'vaccinosis' in a susceptible individual. Warts/growths, etc are some of the symptoms. Thuya (or Thuja) is one of the remedies useful for this condition.

Results?

Well, I finished the 3 days of one pellet a day but it's been several days now since the last pellet on March 9 and no change in the warts....should I continue with the thuya? I've also added wet food mixed with dry and water since I read the article about dry food and warts. How patient should I be concerning the warts? Maybe they aren't warts at all?!! Poor pooch!!

March 16, 2014

Hi Mia,
The response will be SLOW, over 3-6 weeks. I wrote in my initial post regarding the dosing of the Thuya 30C: (dissolved in Spring Water, but you can give dry pellet too)

"And then give him 1/2 dropperful by mouth, (or one pellet by mouth), one time daily for 3 days.

Report back in 2-3 weeks. Sooner if you have other questions or other problems."

As it has not even been one week, I would not expect to see any changes, yet. Please also note, if Nutter Butter has anything *else* going on. If he seems more tired, any mucous in the stool, or soft stool, any eye discharge, increase in ear wax, or anything else happening. Every individual is different as their body heals, and the Vital Force responds to the homeopathic remedy. All of these small symptoms indicate that he IS responding. The response in some cases can be very subtle, but if you are not sure of something that comes up, then please send an update.

Report back by the middle of April, if there is not change in the growths/warts then Nutter Butter may need another dose at that time.

IT'S WORKING!!!!!
by: mia

I noticed a change in the texture of the warts on Nutter's ear flaps and today although still discolored there are no raised bumps! Even the warts I felt under the skin are gone. We are so happy and are doing the doggy dance!! Thank you!!!

March 31, 2014

Hi Mia,
Thanks for the update on Nutter Butter! That is great news! You wrote, that you started him on the Thuya pellets on March 6, so it took about 3 weeks.

If he has a 'relapse' of the warts/bumps, in the next 3-6 months, give him ONE pellet, one time for one dose. (or just report back here, and I can advise on what to do next.)