Dry Skin Spots On End of Dog's Tail

by Brada H.
(Oromocto, New Brunswick, Canada)

Skin Spots On End of Dog's Tail

Skin Spots On End of Dog's Tail

The end of my dog's tail has 2 spots: one is the size of a quarter and the other is the size of a dime. I'm not sure if its a growth or what it is. It is dry and seems to be attached to the skin. The spots are only found at the tip of his tail (see photo).

He is a male Great Dane that I just adopted, and the spots were both there when I brought him home.

Comments for Dry Skin Spots On End of Dog's Tail

My Online Vet Response For: Dry Skin Spots on End of Dog's Tail

Hi Brada,
Regarding your newly adopted Male Great Dane, with two spots on his tail: I can only see one lesion in the photo, and it appears to be a wart-like growth. Click here to see our page on dog warts for more about these.

These benign growths usually appear in dogs over 5-8 years of age after having too many vaccinations. This causes a condition in holistic veterinary medicine known as vaccinosis, and wart growths are a symptom of this.

To help treat this, it is important to feed the best diet, see our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options and especially consider a raw diet which would be best. No DRY Dog food, although with a GREAT DANE, you may have to compromise on this point, and do the best you can afford, mixing some raw and canned food with the dry.

Apply some Thuya ointment to the wart two times daily for 3-6 weeks. He may also need some immune system supplements such as Immuplex by Standard Process.

NO MORE VACCINATIONS. You will need to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for an exemption form.