Dog's Swollen Outer Ear

by Ben Thompson
(Boston, MA, USA)

A little over a month ago, I contacted you about a scar tissue problem in my dog's (Gracie) eye. Since then, it has been healing nicely.

Today, I am contacting you in regards to a development with her left ear. The outer flap feels swollen and warm to the touch. Initially, I thought that she may have been stung by something while we were out walking. I gave her a Benadryl before bedtime, but the next morning there didn't seem to be any reduction in symptoms.

As I recall, she has been showing signs of itchy ears lately, although I thought that this may have been due to simply being dirty. I tried cleaning them not long ago. I don't know if these symptoms are at all related, but it may be worth mentioning anyway.

I've attached pictures of her swollen ear, although there isn't much visibly noticeable.

Please let me know your determination at your nearest convenience.

Thanks and best,
Ben

Comments for Dog's Swollen Outer Ear

My Online Vet Response for Dog's Swollen Outer Ear

Hi Ben,
That is good news that the scar tissue about her eye has healed. Hopefully you have limited (or stopped) her vaccinations and improved her diet, so she is on more of a raw dog food diet now to get her healthy.

From the photo of Gracie's ear flap, it appears to be a hematoma. From the angle in the first photo, I am suspicious that she may have some scar tissue also.

A hematoma in the ear flap is due to a rupture of a blood vessel within the ear flap. In some case the cause is unknown. But the ruptured vessel will cause blood or serum to accumulate within the ear flap creating the 'swelling' or bump.

Conventional vets may aspirate out the fluid/blood with a needle and/or insert a drain into the swelling to completely drain out the blood. In holistic practice, it is best to use a homeopathic remedy that is indicated for bleeding or a remedy that is considered the constitutional remedy for the patient to help them heal and absorb the blood or serum.

A holistic veterinarian would be best to sort out what remedy would be needed at this time.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

-
Dog Ear Infection & Dog Ear Problems,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Ear Problems Section