Dog's Stained Teeth Won't Get Clean!

by Yosef
(Gilbert, Arizona)

Gimmel's teeth

Gimmel's teeth

Gimmel's teeth

Two years ago our dog Gimmel had problems with his teeth being so stained despite all the special water additives and dental sticks that we purchased. Last year, along with his Banfield Pet Wellness program, we purchased a dental cleaning.

The cleaning was wonderful. His teeth were very nice and clean, however he had to be sedated etc and that was not good since we don't like to have this sort of thing done.

So, we vowed that we would take care of his teeth and asked the vet what we could do to ensure that we did everything possible to keep them healthy. Of course they wanted us to pay another $450 for the wellness plan but we decided to try on our own and they said OK you can buy this toothpaste specially made for dogs.

We tried Triple Pet EZ Dog Vanilla flavored first, and that didn't seem to do anything. We tried the spray on that you can get as advertised on the TV, that didn't do anything either and then there were all sorts of bad reports of dogs teeth falling out so we decided no we were not going to use that.

We went to the vet again and she said to use Petrodex, meat flavored. We have been diligently using this for the past 8 months and from the photo attached, nothing is working and his teeth and his breath are getting worse.

We can't afford another dental cleaning.

Gimmel is a Japanese Spitz. He is about 3 years old; He's still young and we don't want any heart problems. He is very active and plays with the other 3 dogs and is very energetic.

What can you suggest that would be natural that would not be abrasive?

Also, we asked the vet about rawhide and it seems to make him sick so we stopped giving it to him although he loves to chew on it. We also asked her about raw neck bones and she said no because of the sharp edges.

Are there any other kinds of bones that don't stink or get messy that would be good to clean the teeth?

Thank you Dr.
Yosef

Comments for Dog's Stained Teeth Won't Get Clean!

My Online Vet Response for: Dog's Stained Teeth Won't Get Clean!

Hi Yosef,

From the photos you submitted, I can see only the left upper and lower canines, one upper premolar and a couple of incisors. There is tartar buildup at the gum line, which I am surprised to see appear so quickly in a 3 year old after a teeth cleaning.

If his upper 4th Premolars are *clean*, that would suggest that he is chewing enough to keep those free of tartar. If these teeth also have an accumulation of tartar, then you do need to provide him with something for tartar control. And the quick buildup of tartar may be due to the food he is eating.

It appears that he does have a 'normal' scissor bite, (meaning his teeth are in alignment, without the lower jaw being too long or too short).

Therefore, if he is provided with something that is a tartar control chew, he should be able to keep his teeth clean. Keeping the rest of the teeth clean, is another matter. For some background info, in a carnivore, each tooth serves a different purpose.

The canine teeth are used for killing the prey. The incisors are used to scrape the meat off the bone. The Premolars, (the teeth that do not touch one another when the mouth is closed) are used to shear the skin and tear the flesh. And the Left and Right Upper 4th Premolar/Left and Right Lower 4th Premolar (also called the 'Carnassial' teeth) are the only teeth used for chewing. Meaning that out of 42 teeth in a dog's mouth, he only has 4 with which to chew. If he loses just one of these teeth, he must chew on the opposite side of his mouth.

So, giving him something to chew for tartar control basically cleans only the carnassial teeth. Making sure he is in optimal health, eating a good diet, (such as a raw diet, see our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, that he is not over vaccinated, (seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for a vaccination exemption), and not exposed to toxins for flea/tick prevention.

In the meantime, RAW chicken or turkey necks would NOT be too sharp for him to chew. If the chicken or turkey is COOKED then the bones will be brittle and splinter.

If Gimmel ran out and killed a chicken, and ate it, he would eat the bones too. That is what a wolf or coyote does in the wild. They do not spit out the bones. They eat them, which provide them with the abrasive action for cleaning the teeth, and calcium needed to balance their diet. Rawhide does not provide the abrasive action needed to clean teeth.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Dog's Stained Teeth Won't Get Clean-PART TWO

Hi Yosef,

Here is the rest of my response.

You might consider putting him in a walk-in shower stall and let him eat his chicken neck there. This way it will be easier to clean up after him! Or you might want to hold on to one end of the bone, to prevent him from gulping it down too quickly.

As he gnaws on one end, you can slowly move it to the other side of his mouth, so he can gnaw with the teeth on the other side of his mouth and clean those too!

And there are many 'man-made' tartar control treats available for him to chew also. The main criteria are:

1. Make sure he gets something to chew after EACH meal.

2. He should like the treat.

3. The treat should not give him gas or loose stool.

4. It must work, so that after 3-4 weeks, his teeth are white!

If it is not working, or it gives him gas or he does not like it, then find a different brand.

- Dog Dental Hygiene & Mouth/Gum/Teeth Problems
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Mouth, Teeth & Gums Section

cleaning stubborn stains off teeth

I have one dog out of my 8, that would rather bury her bones for later - later never comes as the other dogs find them...her teeth therefore are not as pristine as the others of my crew - what has help me clean teeth that have looked like teeth in submitted photo, is this activated charcoal and bentonite clay paste I get from my vet (customary use is for accidental ingestion of a poison that need adsorption) I put a pea sized amount on a thin dry old washcloth and massage each tooth that needs cleaning - for me this works wonderfully and it's not harmful in anyway to the dog. Just my 2 cents...

My Online Vet Response For: Dog's Stained Teeth Won't Get Clean!

October 8, 2014

You tip for using Bentonite clay and Activated Charcoal is really very good. The charcoal can be messy and is very black, so rinsing well after brushing would be needed!

But it is VERY safe for dogs and cats to ingest!

Thanks!