Dog's Recurring Hair Loss, Sores and Painful, Bleeding Skin

by Brooke W.
(Isonville, Kentucky, United States)

A year ago I adopted my 3 year old pekingese from an animal shelter. When I got him he had all of his hair and seemed healthy. But a little after I noticed he scratched and dug at himself with there were huge sores and no hair and he was bleeding.

At first I thought it was just hot spots so I bought all kinds of different medications. They worked at first and his hair started growing back, but then it was like he grew immune to it and he started scratching and the sores came back and the hair fell out again.

I wanted a professional opinion on what I should do and what it actually is. He digs constantly til it hurts him so much he whimpers. He digs until he bleeds and leaves huge sores.

I don't know what else to try. Please tell me!

Comments for Dog's Recurring Hair Loss, Sores and Painful, Bleeding Skin

My Online Vet Response for: Dog's Recurring Hair Loss, sores, and Painful Bleeding Skin

Hi Brooke,

From the photos you submitted, I am very suspicious that your Pekingese has generalized Demodex, with secondary bacterial infection.

See our page on Skin Conditions, parasites, Demodex mange mites,How to treat dog mange

A visit to a conventional veterinarian can help to identify the mite, but a holistic veterinarian will insure that your dog gets more long term follow-up care, (generalized Demodex can be life threatening, and can take 6 months to one year to clear up).

Diet is VERY important. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and consider a Raw diet for your Pekingese.

Vaccinations SHOULD NOT be given at all. Demodex mites are found in dogs with a compromised and weakened immune system. In some cases, vaccinations can affect the immune system and contribute to the appearance of disease.

Remove all toxins from the environment, NO flea or tick products should be applied or given to him.

He should also have immune support for the rest of his life. See the list below: