Dog's Paw Swollen, Red, Raw & Open with Puss

by Sarah
(Los Angeles, CA, USA)

I noticed that my dog was chewing on his paw the last day or so. I checked last night and it was extremely swollen and red raw. It was open with some puss coming out.

I took him to the vet first thing this morning; they were able to wash out the wound and remove a deeply embedded fox tail. They gave me two weeks of Clavamox antibiotics and some Skinguard wipes as well as Metacam painkiller. He is wearing a collar so he can't chew on the wound.

I am very much against antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. Is there anything else I can do instead?

Comments for Dog's Paw Swollen, Red, Raw & Open with Puss

My Online Vet Response for: Dog's Paw Swollen, Red, Raw & Open with Pus

October 16, 2014

Hi Sarah,
Considering that your dog has an open wound present, I would continue the Clavamox antibiotics at least 3-4 days to kill most of the bacteria. This will give him great relief as the swelling, redness and pain subside. Not sure if you need to give any of the Metacam, since removal of the foxtail, and killing all the bacteria, will help reduce pain.

I would add acidophilus to each meal. This will replace all of the 'good' bacteria in his GI tract, that is being killed by the antibiotics.

Use the homeopathic remedy Silicea, 12C or 6C potency. A good remedy to use for abscesses. One pellet by mouth every 8 hours for 5 days.