Dog's neck curving, shoulder slumping and walking sideways

by Brad Taylor
(Burnaby, BC, Canada)

Lulu Comparison

Lulu Comparison

Our dog started to walk a little sideways over the last two weeks, and we thought it was odd. A couple of days ago we noticed that one of her shoulders is now slumped in and her neck is curving to the left.

She shows no pain when I palpate the shoulder and neck, but I can feel major tightness in the neck on the right side. Also, she has not changed her playfulness at all and runs around all the time with no pain. The only thing she can't do anymore is balance on her hind legs which she was good at.

Lulu is a 1 year, 3 month old chihuahua.

Thanks

Comments for Dog's neck curving, shoulder slumping and walking sideways

My Online Vet Response for Dog's neck curving, shoulder slumping and walking sideways

Hi Brad,
Thanks for the pictures (and comparison views) of your Chihuahuas. I am concerned that Lulu may have a congenital condition that involves a malformation of the first two cervical vertebrae in her neck. Diagnosis is done with an x-ray of her neck. Other problems that Chihuahuas are susceptible to include non-closure of the 'soft' spot on their skull and hydrocephalus (fluid on the brain).

None of these problems are painful, but they can lead to paralysis or seizures as the brain and spinal cord are compromised. None of these conditions are easily corrected, either with conventional or holistic medicine.

Hopefully, Lulu has something that is NOT that serious, but I would advise that you seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for a tentative diagnosis, and perhaps referral to a neurologist.

In the meantime, DO NOT use a collar on her; use a harness, or just pick her up. DO NOT let anyone handle her roughly, or allow her to jump down from furniture or run up or down stairs. AVOID any stress on the neck. Use a raised dog food bowl to place her food and water in an elevated position so she does not have to bend her neck down to eat or drink.

A holistic veterinarian that is knowledgeable in homeopathy may be your best bet to start. Try AVH.org for homeopathy. Or to find a 'general' holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Spinal Cord & Central Nervous System Section

Did you find out?
by: Hanne

Hi Brad! Did you find out what was wrong with your dog? I have exactly the same issue with my dog, but the vets doesent figure out whats wrong with her. I see this post is old, but it doesent hurt to try anyway. Hope you will take the time to answer this.

Reply
by: Brad

I did after X- rays MRI and a spinal tap plus a huge bill they came to the conclusion that it was a curverture of the spine and now she is almost 3 and is a very happy girl just a little crooked. If I where to go through it all again I won't have listen to the 3 vets I saw and paid all that money cause my puppy went through hell she wasn't in any pain or discomfort except what the vets put her through. They played on my heart strings. I hope everything will be good with your dog and please let me know how things go.

Brad

My Online Vet Response for: Dog's neck curving, shoulder slumping and walking sideways

July 17, 2013

Hi Brad,
Thank you very much for posting the follow-up to your previous question of 2 years ago. Lulu certainly was subjected to quite a bit of excessive diagnostic work-up. My original response suggested only an x-ray.

Although, in hind sight, it is good to know that her condition will not be progressive, nor will she have any sort of pain or paralysis. For future veterinary care, you should consider the help of a holistic veterinarian.