Dog's Left Eye Problem

Duke's Left Eye (1st image)

Duke's Left Eye (1st image)

Duke's Left Eye (1st image)
Duke's Left Eye (2nd image)

About 1 year ago while bathing my dog Duke I noticed a small growth on his left upper eye lid. It didn't seem to bother him, and stayed about the same size and color which was darker than it is now and only about 2mm.

Suddenly there are two and they have started to quickly grow and change color to a white-ish clear. The last several days he has had increasing redness around his eye and a discharge that is getting increasingly thicker.

He acts normally in general except to shake his head as if to shake off the discharge every now an then.

Duke is 11 years old. His right eye looks normal. I would like to know what you think this growth is and what treatment is suggested.

Comments for Dog's Left Eye Problem

My Online Vet Response for Dog's Left Eye Problem

Duke appears to have 2 meibomian gland growths on his upper left eyelid. These are usually benign, and arise from the glands at the base of the eyelashes. At this point, because they are growing, they may cause problems because they are rubbing against the cornea and causing irritation. That is why he has an eye discharge.

You could choose to have a holistic veterinarian treat Duke using homeopathic remedies (see our page on alternative medicine for dogs), improvement in your dog food diet, and consider NO more vaccinations at his age (perhaps monitor his antibody titers to check his immunity to Distemper, Parvo and Rabies).

Or you might choose to have the growths surgically removed or 'debulked' using a topical anesthetic. In this way, you could submit the growth for analysis to confirm that it is benign. Reducing the size of the growths so they will not be rubbing on his cornea would make him more comfortable.

Then search out a holistic veterinarian to work on all of the above and to improve Duke's health so these growths will not grow back.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

eye lid swelling
by: Dave

Our dog rex is aboy 15 years old he's getting old
his eye lid appears to be growing its now the size
of a large marble he does not seem to be irritated
with it. We are wondering after some research on
dog eye problems what somthing like this would cost at a vet? we don't have alot of money and also pnder how long he will live, he has hip problems and is and outside dog, we wonder if he could servive the winter, please could you give a idea of cost. Thank you

Hi Dave,
Regarding your question about Rex, I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

Please click here to sign up and submit your question and photos.

I'll then get back to you right away at the bottom of your newly created web page.