Dog's Left Eye Has Dent, Blood & Cloudiness

by EmmaMarie
(California)

eye closeup1

eye closeup1

eye closeup1
whole face with bad eye
eye closeup3
normal happy

Hello, my dog is 14.5 years old. His right eye normally is normally cloudy from old age… the last 2 months the white of his eye is bloodshot and his eye was starting to bulge a tiny bit, it also has been tearing but no mucous discharge.

Last night I noticed a blood spot inside, it's cloudy on the outside now and a small dent.

He is on a raw diet of goat milk and turkey and veggies and probiotics and digestive enzymes.

The last several months prior to these last 2 months his liver enzymes were elevated and he was lethargic and throwing up. I had given him Merrick Canned Dog Food and Fresh Pet for a couple of weeks back then different from his normal diet of Ziwipeak temporarily and he had a terrible reaction which started the whole liver episode.

These last 2 months though his energy came back, and he hasn't thrown up at all and had been wagging his tail and going for longer walks. (This is from the raw goat milk which was added 2 months ago). He has always eaten holistically, given no shots.

I also have been giving him high doses of Liposomal Vitamin C the last year which seemed to keep his small tumor in his mouth the same small 1/4 inch.

This last month however I didn't give him any Vitamin C (normally 2 grams per day) to give him a break from all the supplements.

His eye looks terrible this morning. I have him back on the Vitamin C right now. Should I go to an emergency clinic or an eye specialist right away?

Comments for Dog's Left Eye Has Dent, Blood & Cloudiness

My Online Vet Response for: Dog's Left Eye Has Dent, Blood & Cloudiness

September 1, 2014

Hi EmmaMarie,

Your dog has a severe corneal ulcer in his left eye. (that is the 'dent') The cloudiness is because of edema, similar to hurting your ankle, causing it to swell. When the cornea swells it turns cloudy.

Yes, you should take your dog to an Emergency clinic ASAP.

They will be able to get him started on some eyedrops to help with the pain. And then will refer you to an ophthalmologist tomorrow.

Make sure you mention that he has had some liver problems, so they do not prescribe any oral medication that might interfere with his liver.