Dog's inner thigh skin problem

by D McCrae
(Victoria, BC CANADA)

Inner thigh irritation is red and seems hot to touch at times

My Siberian Husky cross has developed a problem on his inner thigh. The skin area is basically void of hair but seems to get hot, possibly from him laying around quite a bit. He seems to lick this area constantly and, when I examine it, I notice there are splotches that are redder than the rest. These spots seem a bit raised with no particular shape (not rings or anything like that).

This morning I covered the area with Betadine which he immediately licked off, but it does seem better, not as irritated and he's not licking at it. I'm wondering if I continue with this if that will ease the problem to the point it will disappear.

I also gave him a 'trammeel' tablet this am to ease the inflammation and think this may have helped.

Jack is an active dog but does hang around the house quite a bit too. I wondered at first if it was boredom and tried to distract him with knuckle bones. He loves the bones, but often just goes back to his licking after cleaning off the bone.

While Jack's problem is not severe, I would like to clear it up before he breaks the skin with all his licking. Jack licks at the other leg as well, but fortunately it is not critical.

About two months ago I used Vetericyn spray (the Cesar Milan product) for a hot spot on one of Jack's paws between his toes. I had to spray often and keep it covered with a sock to prevent him from licking it, but the sore did go away after a couple of weeks.

Yesterday Jack went to a groomer to have his winter coat removed, I'm wondering if the shampoo/soap might have aggravated his inner thigh issue. That's why I applied the betadine this am, and, as I mentioned it helped quite a lot.

Can you comment and suggest any other treatments that I might use?

Comments for Dog's inner thigh skin problem

My Online Vet Response for: Dog's inner thigh skin problem

Hi D McCrae,
From the photo of Jack's inner thigh area, it looks like a severe allergic reaction to an insect sting or bite, or possibly contact with poison ivy or poison oak. Jack is certainly making it MORE inflamed with all of the licking he is doing.

You mentioned that the grooming yesterday may have aggravated the rash. How long has this been present? If it has been present for more than 3 days, I would suggest that he be seen for a blood panel to rule out some underlying illness, such as an autoimmune disease.

Also, if he is responding to the Betadine, which is an antiseptic, it may have removed some surface bacteria, allowing it to heal. In which case, it would be a good idea to bathe the area two times daily with either the Betadine solution or scrub, or a mild baby shampoo.

You ALSO gave a Traumeel tablet to him. This is a combination homeopathic remedy, which contains at least a dozen different remedies. ONE of these may have helped. In a quick repertorization of his symptoms, the top remedies that come up are:
1. Belladonna
2. Apis
3. Pulsatilla
4. Rhus toxicodendron<---this remedy comes from POISON IVY!

Traumeel contains the Belladonna, but none of the other remedies.

If Belladonna is the 'curative' remedy, it may need to be given alone, without the interference from the other remedies.

I suggest giving Jack Belladonna 12c or 30c, ONE pellet by mouth or dissolve ONE pellet in Spring Water, and give him one dropperful or one teaspoon by mouth every hour for three hours, then every 8 hours for three days. If NO improvement after the first day, try one of the other remedies at the same dosing schedule, OR seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to differentiate which remedy would fit Jack's 'constitution'.

Instead of an 'acute' illness, this may be merely a flare-up of underlying chronic disease, triggered by stress, vaccination, improper diet, or some other external stimulus.

Please keep us posted by clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

- Dog Skin Conditions