Dogs Eyes Swollen Shut

by Tenesha P.
(Dallas, TX,USA)

I woke up today to my dog Mia with swollen eyes. It looks as if she has swelling around her mouth as well. She has done nothing different.

She is primarily a house dog... We let her out into the back yard in increments in the day to go to potty. She is a puppy - I don't know her exact date of birth but she was born in August or possibly early Sept.

She is currently eating Alpo puppy food, however yesterday she did have some cooked turkey which she has eaten before with no issues. I have never seen anything like this I am terrified for my furbaby!

Comments for Dogs Eyes Swollen Shut

My Online Vet Response for: Dog's Eyes Swollen Shut

December 10, 2014

Hi Tenesha,
Mia has either been stung by a bee or wasp, or some other insect or she tried to eat one, and it has stung the inside of her mouth and caused her entire face to swell, including her eyes.

You can give her the homeopathic remedy Apis 30C. One dose every 10 minutes for 3 doses, then 3-4 times daily as needed for the swelling. But giving her an injection of antihistamine, like diphenhydramine, (Benadryl) would also help to reduce the swelling and give her some relief.

I suggest that you take her to a veterinarian, a conventional vet would use the antihistamine, a holistic vet would give her the homeopathic remedy. (Either Apis or some other acute remedy effective for swelling.)

Either way, she should have some treatment ASAP to give her some relief.

THANK YOU GUYS SOOO MUCH
by: Tenesha Polk

I happen to be one of "those people" who doesnt like medicine and if I do take it I dont really buy the "combination" ones ... Im allergic to dust etc so I keep benedryl pills in the house for emergencies/heavy cleanings .... so I wrapped some benydryl 25 mg in pill pockets and gave them to Mia every 5 hrs and her swelling has gonoe down completely ! She is running and playing like normal * she tried with her eyes swollen but was a little deterred lol *

My Online Vet Response for: Dogs Eyes Swollen Shut

December 11, 2014

Hi Tenesha
That is wonderful news. I am so glad that Mia is back to normal!