Dog's Eyes Rolled Back In Head After Restless Night

by Cameron
(Montana)

Our 13 year old Australian shepherd/cattle dog mix was restless and wandering around the bedroom last night for no apparent reason, acting skittish. She woke up this morning and her eyes both appeared to be rolled slightly back in her head and each skewed outward slightly.

The eyes are back to normal after a few hours but it also appears she is not hearing as clearly as before last night. She is addisonial and has been getting a shot of percorten every month and has been taking a fourth of a 5 mg prednisone tablet every day for about 2 years.

Other than the temporary eye situation and the ongoing apparent loss of some hearing she appears as before the episode with good appetite and joy for life. I am concerned that she may have suffered some type of mild stroke and do not know whether or not to get her to a vet. Thank you.

Comments for Dog's Eyes Rolled Back In Head After Restless Night

My Online Vet Response for: Dog's Eyes Rolled Back in Head After Restless Night

Hi Cameron,

Your 13 year old Australian Cattle dog may have suffered a mild form of Senile Vestibular syndrome. This is a type of stroke that affects the balance part of the brain.

It can be transitory, and usually the patient will return to normal with no treatment at all.

I have not observed hearing to be affected, but if the balance part of the brain/and inner ear are involved, it certainly could extend to the hearing functions as well.

Since your dog also has Addison's Disease, and you have her on maintenance therapy of monthly Percorten and a low dose of Prednisone daily, it might be a good idea to have a complete blood panel done to check her liver, kidneys, sodium, potassium, Red Blood cells, etc. Just to make sure everything else is ok.

Oreo
by: Cameron

Thanks Doctor Tillman. Is there anything other than a stroke that could cause a sudden diminishing of hearing capability other than a stroke? She seems fine other than that issue. I'm familiar with vestibular syndrome as we had another dog have that problem and oreo if she indeed had it did not exhibit any symptoms although she could have during the night as it was dark and we really couldn't see what she was doing.

We'll hanks again. Cameron

June 14, 2013

Hi Cameron,

If Oreo does not have the specific condition known as Vestibular Syndrome, what you have described including; incoordination, restless behavior, eyes rolled back in head and deafness would fit in the category of a neurologic condition.

A neurologic work up would be best to diagnose exactly what the condition might be. My list of differentials would include, brain tumor, epilepsy, a worsening of the Addison's disease due to electrolyte imbalance, or other systemic diseases found in older dogs.

Seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian that would use the symptoms to guide in choosing a homeopathic remedy might be something to consider. And it would be of great advantage to use the diagnosis of a neurologic workup as well.

- Ask a Vet Library - Dog Musculoskeletal Problems
- Ask a Vet Library - Dog Central Nervous System Problems