Dog's Eyes Are Watery and Itchy

by Laura R.
(Laporte, MN, USA)

Zeus has always had watery eyes. He stays in a heated kennel with 2 other dogs and 2 cats. Last week he started having heavily watering eyes and itching at them with his paws.

It is very cold here and I thought he was doing that because of the cold. It is between 45 degrees and 60 degrees in the kennel. He stays inside except when going for a walk or to the bathroom.

Both eyes are affected but his right eye seems to cause him the most discomfort. There is light greenish "boogers" in his eyes.

Is there something I can do for him to make him comfortable?

I used some Genteal eye gel that I use for dry eyes. After talking to my boyfriend, decided not to use it again. I brought him inside last night so he wouldn't be shivering. It was -45 degrees. He is eating and drinking like normal. His nose is dry also.

Hi is a 15 month old Olde English Bulldogge. We've had him since he was 4 months.

Comments for Dog's Eyes Are Watery and Itchy

My Online Vet Response for: Dog's Eyes are Watery and Itchy

January 7, 2014

Hi Laura,

Poor Zeus looks SO uncomfortable, and it is NOT because of the cold. (But I am glad that you brought him inside!! Minnesota in the winter can be bitter cold. Minus 45!!)

From the photos you posted, it appears that Zeus has a condition common to English Bull dogs, and other breeds with excessive facial folds, called 'Entropion'. This is where either the upper or lower lids, (or both), curl inward, so that the haired portion is rubbing against the cornea. A conventional veterinarian can put a few drops of a 'fluorescein' dye into each eye to see if the cornea is scratched. In some cases, this requires surgical correction to remove the excess skin folds. Applying Sweet Almond Oil or Olive Oil into each eye, 4-6 times daily, may provide some soothing effect to the cornea. But it would be best to take him to a conventional veterinarian, or veterinary ophthalmologist, for an exam and discuss if this is the problem.

You also mentioned that his nose was dry too. Making sure his diet has more moisture, NO DRY FOOD, will help. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options,, and consider a RAW diet for Zeus.