Dog's eyes are bulging, swollen and very red

by Wesley West
(Gloucester, Va, United States)

Yesterday I noticed one of my hunting dogs looked funny. I got closer and noticed her left eye was bulging out and almost rolled back in her head. Her right eye is also red and swollen but not nearly as bad.

It's tender to touch but she hasn't lost her appetite and still gets excited and wags her talk when I come to the pen. I'm nervous this is something serious or fatal.

Comments for Dog's eyes are bulging, swollen and very red

My Online Vet Response for: Dog's eyes are bulging, swollen and very red

Hi Wesley,
In the photo, your dog's third eyelids are raised. Therefore, it is difficult to see the 'eyeballs' very well, since they are covered partially by the swollen third eyelids.

Inflammation of third eyelids can be due to bacterial, viral or fungal infection. Also, smoke or particulate matter (dust, pollen, etc) can cause irritation and inflame the third eyelids.

It would be best to take her in to a veterinarian to examine her, take her temperature, flush the eyes, stain the corneas, take a culture, etc. to determine the problem. I do not think this is a 'fatal' problem, but it would be a good idea to get her seen pretty soon!

Thanks for the help!

I took her to the vet and apparently it was just an infection, it was minor, it just looked worse then what it was! Lol after 3 days on the antibiotic she was looking 100% normal again. Thanks for the help!
-Wes

Hi Wesley,

Thank you for the update, and I am glad to hear that her eyes are back to normal again! Although, it might be nice to try to find out what caused the problem in the first place.

Seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian might be a first step regarding good nutrition (a RAW diet is best), immune supplements, minimal vaccinations, etc. to keep all of your dogs healthy!