Dog's Eye is Red with a Blue Cloud - Nuclear Sclerosis?

by Israel T.
(Lakewood, Co., USA)

Chesty's right eye

Chesty's right eye

I think my dog might have Nuclear Sclerosis. We had him in for an exam a month ago. They took x-rays and did blood work and all as ok. But about a week back his right eye became red and now it has a bluish lull to it as you can see in the picture.

He was born 27 March 2006 so he is about 6 ½ years old, weighs between 75 to 80lbs and is AKC registered. He is up to date on all his shots.

His left eye has always been red from birth and his right eye has been ok. I talked to several different Veterinarians about his left eye being red. They all told me the same thing: that he could see out of it and it was nothing to worry about because the redness would go away once he is full grown. However, the redness is still there and now his right eye is red with the bluish lull.

He does move around well. Occasionally he paws at the right eye which started about a week back. He is a house dog and usually lies in the front of the sliding doors with his head in the sun.

Like I also said, the bluish lull started about a week ago and hasn’t gone away. He doesn’t seem to have any symptoms of pain, no panting, whimpering or sluggish behavior and when we let him out to go to the bathroom, when he is finished he comes running back and jumps on the patio door for immediate entrance. He seems to have plenty of energy. Do you think my dog has Nuclear Sclerosis? Could it be something else?

Sincerely,
Israel

Comments for Dog's Eye is Red with a Blue Cloud - Nuclear Sclerosis?

My Online Vet Response for: Dog's Eye is Red with a Blue Cloud-Nuclear Sclerosis?

Hi Israel,
From the photo you submitted of Chesty, he appears to have uveitis and corneal edema. This is NOT nuclear sclerosis. Nuclear sclerosis is due to aging in dogs over 9-12 years of age and is caused by hardening or thickening of the lens of the eye; it is a fairly benign condition.

Uveitis and corneal edema can be auto-immune or caused by an adverse reaction to a vaccine. Most vaccines that have the combination containing Distemper/Hepatitis/ParaInfluenza/Parvo-virus contain Adenovirus for the Hepatitis portion of the vaccine.

In some cases, the cause is unknown, but it needs to be treated ASAP.

You should make an appointment with a veterinary ophthalmologist to have Chesty examined as soon as possible.

In the meantime, I note from the photo that Chesty has a dry nose. And you also mentioned that his left eye (the 'normal' one), has always been red or had the raised third eyelid. This indicates that he has some other underlying health issues.

You should consider an improvement in his diet. Check out our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options. And consider a RAW dog food diet, NO DRY DOG FOOD.

Also, consider having an exemption form written by a holistic veterinarian to 'exempt' Chesty from any more vaccinations. Check out the article on Annual Vaccinations in Current Veterinary Therapy XI, 1992.

About Chesty
by: Israel

Thank you very much Doctor Tillman for your prompt and courteous reply. I’ve contacted local canine ophthalmologists and am waiting to hear from them.

Also when he was at the Veterinarian on 27 October 2012 they didn’t give him any vaccinations. He is licensed with the County and when he needs his vaccinations they notify us because his license has to be renewed every year.

He had his Distemper/Parvo & Rabbies on 2/24/2010. Those expire on 2/24/2013 according to the paper work I have from the City and County of Denver.

My Online Vet Response for: Dog's Eye is Red with a Blue Cloud-Nuclear Sclerosis

Hi Israel,
"He had his Distemper/Parvo & Rabbies on 2/24/2010. Those expire on 2/24/2013".

From the photos, and my tentative diagnosis of corneal edema with possible uveitis, I advise that you DO NOT give Chesty any vaccinations AT ALL in February 2013. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, or perhaps the ophthalmologist will intervene, to write an exemption form to NOT vaccinate him.

Or if he must receive the Rabies vaccination, then ONLY give him the Rabies, but it would be best in my opinion to give him NO vaccination at all.

Please continue to keep us posted.