Dog's Eye is Red & Drains Pus & Tears

In the past few days my dog's eye has become red and has been draining a little pus and tears. It is bloodshot on top and the third eyelid seems a little red. The back corner seems irritated.

It doesn't seem to bother him at all. I have been cleaning it with the sea salt and distilled water solution. One minute it looks like it is clearing up the next it looks worst.

He is an 18 months old Great Pyrenees mix. He has just about finished a raw cleansing diet.

Does he need a visit to the vet?

Thank-You

Comments for Dog's Eye is Red & Drains Pus & Tears

My Online Vet Response for: Dog's Eye is Red & Drains Pus & Tears

Hello,
For your 18 month old Great Pyrenees, when only ONE eye is involved, there is the possibility that he may have a foreign body lodged in the conjunctiva, or an injury to that eye.

In my opinion, you should have him seen and examined by a veterinarian. This way the eye can be flushed thoroughly, and by applying topical anesthetic drops to the eye, take a peek behind the third eyelid to make sure there is no foreign body or injury.

You can always go to a holistic veterinarian, who can then prescribe a more natural treatment, if one is needed, depending on the problem.