Dog's eye has odd white partial covering >Third eyelid infection?

by Christine Musser
(Redmond, WA)

My dog has something wrong with her eye - her third eyelid is covering more of her eye than it should. She is an older dog and will turn 14 next month.

I just got back from a weekend away - she did not have this before I left. Is there something I can do to try treating on my own?

Comments for Dog's eye has odd white partial covering >Third eyelid infection?

My Online Vet Response for Dog's eye has odd white partial covering>Third eyelid infection?

Hi Christine,
Your dog has a condition called Horner's Syndrome. It's caused by a disruption in the sympathetic chain going up the neck on the same side. It will create a constricted pupil, raised third eyelid, and the eye will look smaller because the eyelids will be more 'droopy' compared to the other side.

In an older dog, unfortunately, it is usually due to a canine tumor compressing the sympathetic nerve chain. The tumor or mass may be in the chest or neck on the same side.

You should seek the help of a veterinarian, either conventional or holistic, for diagnosis. There is no 'home treatment' that can be done. A holistic vet may have more to offer for maintaining a good quality of life for your dog, especially if a there is a chest tumor present.

Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area.

3 year old dog NEW

My three year old dog has the same eye problem. What can I do for him ?

funny eye NEW

my 2and a half year old has eye dicharge (reddish)and a white spot on the same apparent discomfort.

My Online Vet Response forDog's eye has odd white partial covering Third eyelid infection? NEW

August 20, 2015

At this time, I am no longer answering questions online. It would be best to take your dog to a veterinarian or, better yet, find a local holistic veterinarian to help.

Take care