Dog Yeast Infection Turned Into Itching All Over

by Amy Morris
(Durban, Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa)

My dog phoebe has had what started off as a possible yeast infection (elephant skin? when I searched for it on the internet) on her right ear. A tiny black patch is also on her left ear, and quite a big patch down her back the middle section, from where her tail ends to half way up her back, is also appearing.

I have been applying organic diluted tea tree oil to the ear and coconut oil afterward, and this is helping the ear and the once completely black ear is now starting to go pink again from the ends up, and is growing hair back again all over as it was completely bald 2 weeks ago. So this is some progress.

The thing is that she is now itching so badly all over her body (and still her ear that she makes it bleed) she is taking fur off the rest of her body and we do not know why. The black rash is flaking down the middle of her back. She also has red itches appear and I am not sure if these are from flea bites and that she is allergic too them? They sort of look like hives not really sure. They are are on one of the pictures attached.

We have recently in the last 3months put her on commercial dry kibbles again the name is 'Purina One', and I personally feel since we have upped the amount of this food, reducing her natural home cooked food, to help her pick up weight as she was just too thin on the natural diet we had her on, that she is losing more fur all over. I wonder if the preservatives etc. she could maybe be allergic too?
I have put her on in the last week, a natural dog food called Vondis www.vondis.co.za for more information and the specific one for allergies and digestive troubles, but I am scared to pull the commerical dog food totally (as I have reduced it considerably) incase she suddenly drops weight again as she was under weight for so long, until we put her on commercial food. But I do feel, being a natural nutritionist myself, that if the food is one of the problems then I must pull it - as if I was seeing someone with an allergy to milk, I would be silly in suggesting they keep the dairy in their diet.

I am based in Durban South Africa for 2 more months, well just less and would like to get her as well as possible before she fly's with us to the UK. Where she will be in quarantine and not having us give her all the special care she needs, and being treated naturally for things as we so wish. She is going to be given vaccinations just before and maybe again at the kennels, and this scares me as I do not believe in vaccinations.

What do you think of adding some homeopathic remedies too? As I have a good friend who is a homeopathic doctor who can prescribe me some remedies for my babies to help with the effects of vaccines, and maybe for Phoebes skin troubles? As we have another dog, and one cat that will be moving with. Interesting the other animals do not have the problems poor Phoebe has. Not even a sign of it/them. And the two dogs play all day, and are all over each other. Maybe Phoebe has a weak immune system?

Phoebes history:
We got her 9months ago from an animal shelter, and she was 3 months old. When we got her she came with mange and I refused to keep treating her conventionally, only believing in natural options when allowed to choose. She was given some conventional treatment from the shelter and this obviously has suppressed certain problems. I do not think I even finished her 'routine' vaccines. I have had her vaccinated once I think for rabies when she got bit by a monkey. Much to my dismay. I recently got her spayed, like 2 weeks ago too. Her weight was fine when we got her, until we changed her over to homemade food, namely 20% protein (beef/mince), 40% brown rice, and 40% sweet potatoes and carrots. Then she lost about 5 kgs so hence we are scared to mess her diet up and cause her to lose weight just before we are about to fly. But we must address the cause of the problem and not suppress it which is why I am writing to you now for the most natural treatment that will help.

Now she has the Vondi's fresh natural diet, 500gs a day,and 1cup of Purina One. (The vondis food consists of special soothing herbs for her coat, and digestion, some organic herbs and oils, brown rice and chicken with a little veg - not all is organic) With some omega 3 fish oil added raw by me.
Do you think brewers yeast will help the fleas?
And that I need a good quality multivitamin, enzyme, and pro-biotic supplement? As I realise good skin starts with a good digestive system.

I am currently rubbing coconut oil all over her to try sooth the skin rashes and stop the fleas and possible yeast or mites.I am treating her fleas with a natural khakibos (african herb) spray which seems to repel the fleas. But today she had quite a few all over her.
Some of her nipples are also black and swollen.

I look forward to your reply.

Many thanks,

Amy Morris (DNN) Durban South Africa

Comments for Dog Yeast Infection Turned Into Itching All Over

My Online Vet Response for Dog Yeast Infection Turned into Itching all Over

Hi Amy,
You took on quite the challenge when you adopted Phoebe! You said that she had mange at 3 months old when you adopted her 6 months ago. I assume it was the Demodectic mange, which is NOT contagious to humans or other animals.

Mites normally live in the skin of humans and dogs and cats. When the individual has a weakened or poor immune system, then the mites are able to proliferate and cause disease. Therefore, the only way they get it is because they have a POOR IMMUNE system. See our page with information on Demodex and how to treat dog mange.

I would NOT recommend fasting Phoebe as recommended in the article, she needs the nutrients to build her system.

From the photos you sent and her blackened, thickened skin, I suspect she still has Demodex (plus secondary yeast and bacteria). If she is scheduled to have more vaccinations in 2 months, I am not sure how much progress we will be able to make, only to have her relapse.

To get a game plan started, I agree she should have:
1. Homeopathic dog remedies - Lachesis, Sulphur, and Arsenicum are at the top of the list, and perhaps Thuya. A holistic veterinarian knowledgeable in homeopathy would be best to take the case and differentiate which remedy would be best for her constitution.

I practice classical homeopathy and advise giving only one remedy at a time. I am not able to 'take the case' on a long distance situation, and recommend you find someone that can see Phoebe in person. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

2. Immune support - Immuplex from Standard Process. Add 1 capsule to her food two times daily. Also, add 1/4 tsp OrthoMolecular Specialties, Mega C Powder to her food one to two times daily. Decrease if her stool becomes soft or loose.

3. INCREASE the amount of food you are feeding her. Make sure she is getting 450 calories two times daily. (From the photos she looks like she weighs about 50-60 lbs?) For some reason I was not able to access the Vondis site, but they should be able to have some information on calorie content. If you feed her 500gm per day, or 225 gm (8 oz) Vondis plus 1 cup of the dry Purina one, two times daily.

I don't think she is getting enough food. She needs EXTRA protein for her skin to heal,to support her immune system, and also for her own growth. I would suggest 2 cups of vondis (that is a RAW diet or at least canned/ moist) and only 1/2 cup of the 'Purina One' (dry) TWO times daily, with the added nutrients, Mega C and Immuplex.

To be continued...

PART 2-My Online Vet Response for Dog Yeast Infection Turned into Itching all Over

Continued...
4. Flea control-- Cedarcide by Wondercide is a cedar oil product that is a natural flea and insect repellent. I do not think it will kill the Demodex. But it will repel the fleas, ticks and other parasites. Bathe with Dawn Dish detergent, one time per 2-3 weeks, this will also kill fleas. Continue with her weekly, or two times per week coconut oil rub downs to soothe her itchy skin. This does not kill the mites either, but will help soothe her skin.

5. Antibody Titers--This is done with a blood test. Since she did have a rabies vaccination, her Rabies Antibody Titer should be high. You should have Antibody titers done for Distemper, Parvo, Bordatella, and for Rabies. Hopefully, it will NOT be mandatory for her to have distemper or parvo vaccination before going into a kennel.

If her Bordatella (kennel cough) titer is high, she should not be required to have that vaccine, either. I hope that if her Rabies antibody titer is high then she will not need to have another Rabies vaccination, especially if it has been less than one year since she just had one.

In the meantime, since she is in such poor condition, she may need to have some 'conventional' treatment to kill some of the mites, such as Ivermectin given by injection. Her dose would be: 0.1 cc/10 lbs body weight Sub Q. (About 0.5 cc) every two weeks for 3 injections. If you are able to locate a holistic veterinarian and start homeopathic treatments, then the Ivermectin may not be necessary.

Thank you
by: Amy Morris

Thank you for your speedy reply. I am putting all of your suggestions into motion right away and will keep you informed of what happens.

Many thanks. Amy

Question 2 of 3
by: Amy Morris

Hi, an update on Phoebes case -

I noticed Phoebe was losing weight when we put her on the natural dog food completely (for skin allergies). So we now found a dry dog food kibble that is for sensitive skins and dogs with allergies called Vets Choice and mix this with her natural fresh dog food still and she is picking up weight again now and almost back to normal. (She had lost 1.5kgs in a week which I could see was only going to get worse if we left it and would not help he immune system strengthen).

The dog food is also the best I could find over here in SA ingredients-wise.

I went to the see the homeopath and they gave her psorinum 30ch and she also practises classical homeopathy. It seems to have helped her stop itching as much, but today noticed she has been itching a lot.

I have also noticed inside her poor ear is brown sticky stinky gunk - which I see has now appeared in her other 'healthy' ear and it has spread to the black dry elephant skin there too, and her back and now a patch on her face and stomach has appeared which is not good... but I do feel it is from this sticky brown gunk - as she is transferring it from her paws...

I have been cleaning out her ears with cotton buds and diluted tea tree oil, and I see the next day the brown sticky stuff comes back a little, and then a little more the next day - so have tried to now keep on top of this - What is the brown sticky stuff? Is it the mange?

And you also mentioned a dish wash soap to use to kill the fleas, I could not find it over here in SA so is there anything else I could try?

Other than that, I am having a review with the homeopath next week, and if there is no improvement the week after I may just have to go to the vet for the injections you mentioned :( Which I am not too stoked to do!

In the mean time I wondered if there is a special shampoo to kill the mange? As I have been washing her once a week just about but do not mind upping it to twice a week if you feel this would help. (I have been using a gentle khakibos herb soap all natural so as not to irritate her more.)

Just had an after thought is there maybe a cream to apply topically to kill the mange?! Not sure if this is any better than the injections in that it is suppressive just thought not so much will be absorbed into the bloodstream unlike an injection...

Many thanks for your help.

Amy Morris

My Online Vet Response for Dog Yeast Infection Turned into Itching All Over

Hi Amy,
Adjusting her diet by adding the Vets Choice dry to her natural fresh dog food sounds like a good compromise to prevent her from losing any more weight. And the added protein will help her skin to heal.

Psorinum 30c nosode is a good remedy, and hopefully will give her a healing boost toward recovering.

The brown 'stinky gunk' may be secondary yeast, or possibly ear mites. Ear mites can be diagnosed by looking into the ear canal, or by placing some of the debris on a microscope slide, and looking into a microscope. If she has had the yeast problem before, I would expect that is what it is.

Try using Apple cider vinegar (if that is not available in South Africa, then hopefully you can obtain 'regular' vinegar). Dilute it 50:50 with water and use it as a rinse - once she is done with her bath and the soap is rinsed off, give her a final rinse and pour the diluted vinegar all over her. You can put 1/2 - 1 tsp of straight vinegar into her ears, and also to all of the places on her skin where this 'gunk' is located.

A product called Cedarcide by Wondercide is good to control fleas. Hopefully it can be shipped to you in South Africa.

Apple cider balsamico and possible wart on dogs privates
by: Amy Morris

Hi thanks so much for the suggestion of the apple cider vinegar - I used it on her yesterday in her ear - and it has stayed much cleaner than normal so will keep going.

I went to the shop and got organic apple cider today - but only when I got home and used it on her today did I see it said BALSAMICO... is this bad for her? As I used a little 1/2 a teaspoon in her ears (she wriggled and threw most out!) and diluted the rest and wiped it all over her body. Will bathe her tomorrow. Should I get the other ACV? As I only bought it as it said organic and I know some ACV's are heated so did not know if my other one I used first was.

Must I not dilute it to put in the ears (just double checking this!)? And will this ACV help treat the mange? If it is mites - I read somewhere she could go deaf from them if they are un treated... Will the ACV be sufficient in case it is this? Although I feel it is yeast too having known she had it before...

I have taken a picture of Phoebes private area also as it looks like there is a wart there - not really sure. Would like a second opinion on this though if possible. I cannot attach the photo here as it will not allow me so could you please give me an email address to send it to for you to see?

Thanks so much, Amy Morris

My Online Vet Response for Dog Yeast Infection Turned Into Itching All Over

Hi Amy,
It would be best to continue using the Apple Cider Vinegar, (ACV), NOT the Balsamic Vinegar. Balsamic vinegar is used for cooking, like the rice vinegar, white vinegar, red wine vinegar, etc. Apple Cider Vinegar is used for health purposes. And (if you can stand the smell of it), use it 'straight', do not dilute it.

No, ACV will not treat the Demodex mange mites, nor will it treat ear mites. It is acidic so it will treat the yeast problem in her ears. Ear mites will cause a chronic thickening of the ear canals, and an increase in the waxy debris, so that hearing will be diminished. But they will not cause permanent deafness.

It would be best to take her to the holistic vet that prescribed the Psorinum remedy for a second opinion on the 'wart' or growth that you are seeing on her private parts. To send you my e-mail would entail 'private e-mail consults' and there would be separate charges. And taking her to a veterinarian to see her is person would be much better than sending a photo to me.

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Hair Loss Section,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Warts, Cysts and Strange Growths Section,
- Dog Ear Infection & Dog Ear Problems,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Ear Problems Section