Dog x-rays show a gray mass

by Maria Puente-Duany
(Fort Lauderdale, FL)

My dog had x-rays that show a gray mass on the length of the right side of his body. It's not a well defined tumor, it's just a gray mass. The blood test results were normal, so it's probably not malignant.

Is there a holistic treatment to shrink tumors?

My dog is 14, and apart from the fact that this is not operable, I don't want chemo or any other harsh treatment for him. I don't have a copy of the x-ray to upload, but it just looks like a gray shadow over his internal organs.

Comments for Dog x-rays show a gray mass

My Online Vet Response for: Dog x-rays show a gray mass

Hi Maria,
Yes, there are many holistic treatments that can treat tumors. Although it seems that the diagnosis from your veterinarian that took these x-rays is a bit too vague. In your 14 year old dog, you mention that it is a 'gray mass' along the right side of the body, and "appears as a gray shadow over the internal organs".

An x-ray cannot tell you the color of the internal organs. An x-ray can differentiate BONE as white, but other soft tissue organs, including fluid, such as urine in the bladder, as gray. I suggest that you try to get a veterinary radiologist to read these x-rays and give you a second opinion. Is it truly a tumor or is it fluid?

That is GREAT that the blood test was normal, considering that your dog is 14! Unfortunately, that does not mean that a mass is not malignant. If a tumor is seated deep inside an organ, such as a hemangiosarcoma inside the spleen, the blood tests will all come back normal until the spleen begins to hemorrhage.

Also, what prompted you to have x-rays taken of your dog? Did he have some symptoms that he was not feeling well? A holistic veterinarian, will need to prescribe based on the symptoms the dog is showing, this will provide a guide to the best homeopathic remedy.

It might be best to seek the opinion of a holistic veterinarian that can examine your dog AND look at the x-rays. By combining this information, including improvement in nutrition, and avoiding vaccinations, may provide a guide to the best treatment plan!

Thank you for your comments
by: Maria Puente-Duany

Thank you, that's helpful. I'll look for a holistic vet. I had the x-rays and bloodwork done because he didn't seem to be himself and started whining like he was in pain. The vet said the x-ray showed that he may have hurt his back and gave me a pain medication. He's doing fine now that he's not in pain. The "gray mass" was an aside! The little guy is a 9 1/2 lb Maltese, and has been with me 12 1/2 of his 14 years.

Hi Maria,
That is wonderful that he is more comfortable now. And seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian would be the best course of action at this time.

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section