Dog Won't Stop Itching

by Gina
(Puerto Rico)

This 5 yrs old male lab mix is always itching and his back legs never had hair since I rescued him.

Neck is always red and without hair and hot to the touch.

Medication history: antibiotics, ketokenazole, prednisone. While on medications, they improves slightly.

Shampoo: Malakeet is the only one that helps a little. Other shampoos with the same medication do not relieve the itching. The Happy Pet shampoo also works to relieve a little.

Always must dry completely after bathing, otherwise the condition worsens.

Lately have been rinsing with white vinegar diluted in water. That works a little. No need to dry him with the hair drier after the vinegar/water rinse.

Have been giving him oregano oil capsules daily for almost 2 months. At the beginning the condition improved, then got worse.

What can you recommend? I just want him to stop scratching and be in peace.

Comments for Dog Won't Stop Itching

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Won't Stop Itching

March 21, 2014
Hi Gina,
From the photos you sent, it looks like he has either Sarcoptic mange or Demodex with secondary bacterial/yeast infection, especially concentrated in the skin fold areas. And he may also have hypothyroidism.

You did not mention if he had any skin scrapings done, or blood panel.

In some cases, because it has been so chronic, the skin may be so thickened, that a skin scraping may be difficult to locate any mites under the microscope! In those situations, when I am unable to find mites, but I am 99.9% sure that is the diagnosis, I will give Ivermectin injectable, one injection every 2 weeks, for 3-6 weeks. This is not holistic, but will provide relief from the itching. It is also important to do a blood panel and rule out any other conditions, such as low thyroid.

Also, make sure you give some other supplements such as Canine Whole Body support, by Standard Process, available on amazon.com. And Immuplex by Standard Process. I have found these to be better in some cases than the Oregano oil. The diluted white vinegar is probably helping some of the yeast in the skin fold areas.

Interesting case. Hopefully, these suggestions will provide some relief for the poor guy! And then we can apply some holistic treatment for the long term. Please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.