Dog with Zinc Deficiency Has Itchy Eye

by Joy

My dog has been diagnosed with zinc deficiency. She is doing great on the zinc supplement except for one thing: her left eye is itchy and she keeps scratching at it the outside towards the ear. She is a year and a half old husky.

The vet isn't sure what it is since it only affects one eye so we are thinking its an allergy or a hot spot? Help! She scratches at it once the cone around her neck comes off.

Comments for Dog with Zinc Deficiency Has Itchy Eye

My Online Vet Response for Dog with Zinc Deficiency Has Itchy Eye

Hi Joy,
From a holistic perspective, with the symptoms you listed for your 1 1/2 year old husky: Left eye itching at the outer corner (lateral canthus) and the rest of the skin is normal, and no other eruptions. So, we have one-sided symptoms and intolerable itching, there are several homeopathic remedies that may be helpful.

The top remedy that fits all of these symptoms is mezereum. And it especially fits if he started itching sometime after a vaccination was given. Other homeopathic remedies are sulphur and natrum muriaticum.

A homeopathic or holistic veterinarian would be the best to advise you on potency and what frequency to give. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

From a conventional standpoint, I would still suggest a skin scraping and fungus culture to rule out mites or fungus causing the problem. Make sure he has enough moisture in the diet, NO DRY DOG FOOD (check our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options). And consider adding some raw meat to his diet. (REMEMBER NO RAW PORK or RAW FISH.)

Add at least 500 mg-1,000 mg Omega 3 fish oil for dogs to your dog's food. And maintain the proper Zinc of course.

According to veterinarian and PhD, Dr.Donald Strombeck's book, Home Prepared Dog and Cat Diets, feeding Normal dogs the Zinc content should be 0.72mg/kg of body weight per day. Your Husky may need more, but you should make sure that he is getting at least the basic amount.

I would also be VERY cautious about giving any future dog vaccinations. A holistic veterinarian, will be able to assist you in obtaining a waiver or Rabies exemption form. None of the other vaccines are required.

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Eye Problems Section,
- 10 Best Dog Food Options,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Food Diet - Dog Food, Dog Treats & Homemade Dog Food Recipes Section