Dog with White Boogery Eye Discharge

One eye

One eye

One eye
Other eye

Lately my dog has been waking up with a white "boogery" discharge near her eyes more frequently and it is somewhat moist in that area. It does NOT seem to bother her AT ALL. I just clean the area with a warm moist paper towel.

I want to know if this is something to be worried about. Eye drops are not the easiest thing to put in this dogs eyes! She's a squirmer!

She is a bit cross-eyed and has always had red eyes for the entire time I've had her. I've done the menace test many times and her vision does not seem to be affected.

I took her to the vet about 8 months ago to check her eyes and the vet gave her a clean bill of health and said that some excitable dogs (which she is) can have red eyes. Or it could be allergies as well but other than that her eyes seemed healthy.

The vet mentioned that her eyeballs are too small (?) and so that could be an issue so that just needed to be monitored throughout her life.

She is a female Black/White Pitbull/Great Dane (?) mix (we are not sure as she is a rescue). Her name is Jayduh. She is approximately 2.5 years old.

Thanks so much.

Comments for Dog with White Boogery Eye Discharge

My Online Vet Response for: Dog with White Boogery Eye Discharge

April 2, 2014

From the photos of Jayduh, and her chronic white eye discharge, and you mentioned that she has had 'red' eyes the whole time you have had her, (her third eyelids), I suspect she has a deeper problem occurring. If this is also accompanied by slight increased ear wax, a red line on her gums, brown residue at the base of her nails, and a dry hair coat, these are all an indication of a poor immune system. Most likely due to 'vaccinosis'. Vaccinosis is a condition recognized by holistic veterinarians as occurring from vaccines given to a susceptible individual.

This could certainly be associated with allergies, but allergies are a result of a poor immune system. If due to genetic causes, then vaccines will make her condition worse.

1. Improve her diet--consider the addition of some RAW meat into her diet, with canned and only a VERY small amount of dry food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options,

2. NO MORE VACCINATIONS-you will need to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form to avoid vaccinations.

3. Immune Supplements

4. Keeping her eyes clean while you are improving her 'internal' system, will prevent skin irritation from the chronic eye discharge.

5. Homeopathic remedies, she may need to have a homeopathic remedy prescribed for her, but I suggest following the above suggestions first.