Dog with Vomiting, Diarrhea and Shaking

by Annette

On Thursday my dog ate dinner but was vomiting clear fluid. On Friday he continued to vomit, did not eat and had one bout of diarrhea. On Saturday he did not vomit or have diarrhea but was shaking and his nose was warm but somewhat active. Today he is shaking and his nose is warm. He is somewhat active. He is a Havanese.

What is wrong with him?

Comments for Dog with Vomiting, Diarrhea and Shaking

addditional information on the Havenese.

My dog eats once a day in the afternoon and he eats Purina. He's been healthy up to these last couple of days. He has his rabies shot and is. Very active when awake, he plays with the other dog when we are home. He loves to go outside and chase a soccer ball especially when someone throws it to him. The other dog and him run around the house and play or they play outside in the backyard.

My Online Vet Response for: Dog with Vomiting, Diarrhea and Shaking

Hi Annette,
Your dog has Gastro-Enteritis. This is inflammation of the stomach and the intestine (which results in vomiting and diarrhea). And from what you have described over the past 4 days, it sounds like he is gradually improving!

The cause is varied. It can be caused by an infection, such as a virus or bacteria, intestinal parasites, or dietary indiscretion, (for example eating something rancid, something indigestible, or toxic) or secondary to something external such as a reaction to a vaccine or other drug, or secondary to another disease such as pancreatitis, or hepatitis.

To summarize the problem: (with my questions)
You have a male Havanese.
Age?? Neutered or Intact?

He is fed Purina dog food (dry??) one time daily in the afternoon. It is best to feed a smaller meal, TWO times daily.

He has had a Rabies vaccination.
In some cases an acute flare-up of gastro-enteritis can be caused by a vaccination!

He is usually very active and plays with the other dog quite well, and now he is only somewhat active.

To help him get on the mend, STOP the DRY DOG FOOD. He must be on a bland diet for the next 3-5 days to help his stomach and intestine heal. DRY dog food is TOO hard to digest.

Try giving him some chicken or turkey baby food. 1/2 jar every 3-4 hours. Once he is eating that ok, without vomiting in 24 hours, mix in 1-2 TBSP of cooked rice to each meal. ALSO, open and sprinkle into each 'meal' one capsule of Acidophilus. This is the GOOD bacteria that colonizes the intestine. Continue Acidophilus for the next 2 weeks.

Give him the baby food and rice for 2-3 days. Now, with his appetite improved, and energy improved, and normal stool, it will be time to go to a HEALTHY diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options and consider switching to a RAW natural dog food diet, or at least a canned with some raw food added.

When the stool is formed, take a sample in for testing to make sure he does not have any intestinal parasites (If the stool is POSITIVE for parasites, then BOTH dogs will need to be de-wormed.)

My Online Vet Response for: Dog with Vomiting, Diarrhea and Shaking PART TWO

Hi Annette,
Here is the rest of my response:

If your dog is NOT improving, please seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for a natural and gentle treatment plan.

- Dog Vomiting,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Vomiting Section
- Dog Diarrhea Medicine,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Diarrhea, Constipation and/or Digestive Problems Section