Dog with Thrombocytopenia, Anemia, Petechiae

by Sdominique

Lola

Lola

After a disastrous reaction to an antibiotic containing trimethoprim-sulfonamide, my sweet Lola was diagnosed with Thrombocytopenia, Anemia and Petechiae.

She is a 4 and a half year old, 7.4 pounds, maltese poodle mix.

The incident occurred when my vet prescribed the antibiotic to prevent infection after a mild dog fight where Lola got a small wound that we feared might be deeper than it looked, and that might have been exposed to bacteria after a trip to the groomer's.

I was unfortunately out of town for work right after the incident and had left the care of administrating the antibiotics to my mother in law who is used to dog sitting.

When i came back after almost a week, i noticed red spots all over her tummy and literally panicked (with reason).

My mother in law had not noticed the spots, but did mention that lola was eating less and had vomited twice during the week.

I had to go out of town to find a emergency 24h clinic to take Lola.

I have to say that the vets and staff over there were amazing.

Lola had a blood transfusion done the same night, was also administered fluids.

An after four days in the hospital, she was ready to come back home!

It has been about a month and she has had three Complete Blood Count blood tests done, as well as all of the possible tests for parasites and tick and flea related diseases (At first we had suspected that ehrlichiosis might be the cause).

She has been on doxicyline for a month just in case it could be tick related and has finished her cure today.

I am grateful to say that up until now all of the tests have been negative and that her blood count has been back to normal for about two weeks now.

Her platelets are up as well as her red and white blood cells.

Although Lola is doing better, i am very ready to leave behind as much as i can the traditional medicine methods such as antibiotics that put her in this mess.

I know that her condition was serious and i have to be very careful with her health so this brings me to my question for you:

- I am looking for holistic ways to help boost and support her immune system in order to reduce the chances of her system shutting down again ( i have heard that it can sometimes be recurrent)

- I would also like to have holistic options for flea and ticks prevention, as she has had a history of them on her, and i am now terrified of lyme disease and other tick and flea related disease.

Thank you and looking forward to your answer.

Comments for Dog with Thrombocytopenia, Anemia, Petechiae

My Online Vet Response for: Dog with Thrombocytopenia, Anemia, Petechiae

December 29, 2014

Hi Sdominique,
Do you also own Clio, 3 year old Maltese Poodle with severe allergies?

You have your hands full with Lola having an allergic reaction to the Trimethoprim-Sulfa antibiotic resulting in Thrombocytopenia and Immune Mediated anemia.

I would suggest the same flea control on Lola as for Clio. For natural flea and tick prevention, check out our page on flea prevention, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-flea-medicine.html, and look at www.wondercide.com, EVOLV. It is a flea/tick preventive made from cedar oil. You can put a few drops on a bandana and put it around her neck. You can also apply a few drops to her body as needed when she is outside exposed to fleas or ticks.

You mentioned that Lola has finished the Doxycycline now. Is she taking any prednisone or cortisone at this time? If so, then she should take milk thistle to help support her liver. Prednisone is metabolized by the liver, and can stress the liver. Give her 8 mg per pound of body weight TWO times daily in her food.

She should also have acidophilus for the next one to two weeks, to replenish the 'good' bacteria that was killed by the Doxycycline antibiotic.

To help boost her immune system, not only should she be started on a RAW dog food diet, there are some specific supplements that would help.

See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html. And check out some raw dog food brands such as Primal, Nature's Variety, or Bravo.

For immune support, here are a couple that I think are very good,
1. Immuplex by Standard Process. This is available on amazon.com. The dose would be 1/2 capsule opened and sprinkled in her food TWO times daily.

or

2. Mega C from OrthoMolecular Specialties by Dr Wendell Belfield, http://belfield.com/product/mega-c-plus-8-oz-226-4-gm/
A powder that can be sprinkled on the food. The label has the dose for dogs according to their body weight.

Also, you should NOT vaccinate Lola any more. Vaccinations will adversely affect her immune system. Find a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form.

A homeopathic remedy may also be needed to help Lola. Rather than resuming conventional drugs, a holistic veterinarian can prescribe the appropriate remedy based on her symptoms.

Reply for Lola
by: Sdominique

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

I do own Also Clio, with the allergies and took note of the flea and tick prevention option with the cedar oil. Thank you!

I certainly have my hands full it has been quite a bumpy ride with Lola.

She hasn't been on cortisone the vets didn't think it was necessary since she was reacting well to the transfusion and fluids and seemed to be on the path to recovery.

Her reticulocytes went from 5000 to 72000 which the vets seem to think suggest that her bone marrow is working and producing cells.

Is she supposed to be on a raw food diet forever?

As for the vaccines , do you think she can also get an exemption for rabies ???

Thank you!

Reply for Lola
by: Sdominique

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Thank you!

Additional reply from Lola's owner
by: Sdominique

I forgot to ask in my previous question, is freeze dried raw dog food a good option? It is impossible for me to find raw dog food on a regular basis where I live.

Could i keep her on a canned / raw diet, only giving her raw food when it's available or is that not recommended?

If I can't provide her with raw dog food on a regular basis what would be my best alternative?

Thank you!

December 30, 2014

Hi Sdominique,
Freeze dried raw food is best used for emergencies or if you are traveling and do not have refrigeration. I do not recommend it for a maintenance diet.

You can certainly feed a canned dog food, and add in 1-2 tsp of raw ground chicken, turkey or beef to each meal. This would be a balanced diet, and the raw meat would add moisture, Vitamin C, and amino acids.