Dog with Sudden Swollen Eyelids with Tiny Ulcer-like Excoriations & Elevated Blood Neutrophils

by Jean D.
(Bend, Oregon)

Before treatment -Rt

Before treatment -Rt

Before treatment -Rt
Before treatment - Lt

My dog suddenly developed swollen eyelids with tiny ulcer-like excoriations on the inner lids. No environmental cause or food, etc.

Our vet prescribed oral and topical antibiotics plus 10 - days of oral prednisone 2.5 mg x2 daily now being tapered to 2.5 daily to stop in a few days and the eyes have 99.9% reverted to normal looking. There seem to be no other areas or systems involved with this abrupt eye condition and she does not know what it is, possibly an allergic auto-immune type of disorder.

I had lab standard work done: Liver, kidneys, blood sugar, thyroid okay.

What I am worried about is the NEUTROPHIL count which is
14,620 when normal parameters given are 2940 - 12670.

Rest of blood components were WBC : 17.2 (Normal 4.9-17.6)
RBC 8.65 (5.39-8.7) Lymphocyte 2236 (1060-4950)
Monocyte 344 (130-1150)

Eosinophil 0 (70-1490) This was only other abnormal reading.

Thus, the neutrophils are 85% of the total white blood cell count when a max of 60% is normal.

In reading online, I've seen the elevated neutrophils can be an indicator of lupus and I don't want something insidious like that going undiagnosed.

What do you think could cause the neutrophils to be so imbalanced with the rest of the blood and should I be worried?

How is lupus definitively diagnosed in a dog?

Joey is a 3 year-old male, 15 lb., neutered, dachshund/chihuahua. He is a sweet, active, happy, young dog and I want him to have a good, long life. Thank you so much for any advice.

Sincerely, Jean and Joey the dog.

Comments for Dog with Sudden Swollen Eyelids with Tiny Ulcer-like Excoriations & Elevated Blood Neutrophils

My Online Vet Response for: Dog with Sudden Swollen Eyelids with Tiny Ulcer-like Excoriations & Elevated Blood Neutrophils

July 19, 2014

Hi Jean,

Unfortunately, you submitted the same photo twice.

And it is slightly out of focus, so it is difficult to see much detail.

From your history that Joey developed this so suddenly, and he responded 99% to normal after "oral and topical antibiotics plus 10 - days of oral prednisone 2.5 mg x2 daily now being tapered to 2.5 daily to stop in a few days" I am suspicious that your veterinarian is correct that he had an allergic reaction to something or has an immune system disorder.

If the blood sample was taken BEFORE the cortisone, then I suspect the slight increase in neutrophils is due to the inflammation of his eyelids. Neutrophils are an indication of inflammation and/or bacterial infection.

When the neutrophils are increased and the lymphocytes are decreased, or slightly low normal, and the eosinophils are decreased, then I suspect there is some stress occurring. Stress will cause cortisone to be released from the adrenal glands, or cortisone medication, will cause this to occur.

I suggest taking another CBC, to measure the White blood cells and neutrophils, once Joey has been off of the prednisone for 2-3 weeks. If the neutrophil count is continuing to increase, then I would be more concerned.

In the meantime, DO NOT give him any more vaccinations. EVER! Vaccines are a MAJOR cause of immune system problems. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form for Joey.

Next, make sure you are feeding him the healthiest diet. NO DRY Dog Food! See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and consider a RAW diet for Joey. http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html

Avoid toxic flea and tick products, and try EVOLV from www.wondercide.com.

He may need some immune support, if the above steps are not helping. You may need to try one of these, 1. Missing Link Canine Formula

Also, he may need a homeopathic remedy. But only if the symptoms recur after he finishes the prednisone.