Dog with Shortness of Breath and Pain

by Robert
(Georgia, USA)

My dog has seasonal allergies (matted eyes, nasal conjestion) and is now drinking large quantities of water and urinating frequently. As of yesterday when she walks even short distances, she gets short winded and hassles and acts as though it hurts to walk either due to her feet or joints, even having difficulty laying down and getting comfortable.

She is a 12 year old Dachshund named Savannah and has a good appetite. Her stools have been lose, sometimes runny. She is an inside dog and after examining her we found no ticks or parasites.

Are these symptoms that accompany allergies or is it something much more serious? With it being the weekend I don't want to take any chances so please help me help her. I am retired and disabled, she is all I have, please help.

Comments for Dog with Shortness of Breath and Pain

My Online Vet Response for Dog with Shortness of Breath and Pain

Hi Robert,
The symptoms you are describing for your Dachsund, Savannah, sound more serious than what would be expected from chronic allergies.

Shortness of breath after mild exertion could indicate heart disease or some other cardiopulmonary condition. If she has had heart disease for some time, then her kidneys may also be affected, since you mentioned she is drinking more water and urinating more.

You do not mention if she is coughing, or if her gum or tongue color are blue or lavender. This indicates she is not getting enough oxygen into her lungs.

Is she overweight? Joint and back problems are very common in Dachsunds, even those of normal weight! With her age, arthritis and bursitis are not unusual.

I do not know how far you are from an emergency clinic, but I would suggest you take her in for an exam. If you are unable to afford the chest x-ray, the veterinarian should still be able to tell you if Savannah has a heart murmur (and if she is in congestive heart failure), take her temperature to rule out fever or infectious disease, palpate her abdomen to check if her kidneys are enlarged or shrunken, and possibly institute some treatment to give her some temporary relief until you can locate a holistic veterinarian tomorrow! A short blood panel to just check her kidneys, blood glucose, and Heartworm test would be great to diagnose other diseases.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Heart Problems Section

daschund short of breath NEW
by: Bkgirl

I also have a 12 year old doxie. Never ever sick and last year went to emergency and diagnosed with pnomonia...after being treated and 6 months later she was still short of breath and hated to walk. It was to much for her. Since she was diagnosed with mitrol valve problem, congested heart failure. Since been on enalapril and breathing much better.Still wheezes a bit but much more energy. She eats freeze dried raw primal and veggies. Loves to eat and she could stand to lose a pound or two but doing we are working on it.