Dog with Runny Eye, Small Growth on Eyelid and Chronic Runny Nose

by Libby K.
(Lebanon, TN)

Close-up: growth on dog's eyelid

Close-up: growth on dog's eyelid

Close-up: growth on dog's eyelid
small growth on dog's eyelid

My dog has a runny eye but I believe that is from a small growth on his eyelid that appears to be a tumor in his gland. You mentioned a problem like this on your website so I just started olive oil drops to see if that helps (I have attached 2 pictures of his eye).

He also had a cough and runny nose in the fall and the vet put him on a steroid for the second time last year. That seemed to get rid of the cough but did nothing for the runny nose.

The vet said that it was just from old age (I he is a 50 lb mutt who is about 9 years old) and had to do with his respiratory system not draining properly. He snorts up a ton of mucus.

I tried giving him some cold medicine and it helps a little but I don't want to give it to him long term and I don't think it helps much.

He was a stray from Tennessee when we found him at about 5 months old and has had allergy issues and terrible arthritis. We lived in Virginia since we've had him - prior to moving to Tennessee in March - and were in a house with a lot of moisture and mildew issues. The move didn't change his symptoms.

We manage the arthritis by walking him every day. We tried glucosomine but didn't see improvement.

We have given him Iams dog food all his life but recently switched to Black Gold to see if that would help (if it were allergies to the food).

He eats and drinks well. No problems going to the bathroom and his activity level hasn't changed - he's old so rather lazy.

Comments for Dog with Runny Eye, Small Growth on Eyelid and Chronic Runny Nose

My Online Vet Response for: Dog with Runny Eye, Small Growth on Eyelid and Chronic Runny Nose

Hi Libby,
From the photos you submitted, it appears that the growth is attached to the underside of the upper Left eyelid. It is NOT attached to the third eyelid. The third eyelid is located in the inner corner of the eye.

Therefore, the growth is not associated with the gland of the third eyelid. This is probably a benign Meibomian cyst or tumor.

You are correct that the growth is probably irritating his cornea and causing him to have the eye drainage. Olive oil will not treat this.

His cough and runny nose that were ineffectively treated with steroids are probably due to the intra-nasal Bordatella (kennel cough) vaccine. This is one of the side effects that can result.

Giving him 'cold-medicine' will only *suppress* the symptoms, not heal him. This is considered a 'vaccinosis' condition, as is the presence of the tumor on his upper eyelid.

You said you adopted him at 5 months of age, and he has allergy issues, but did not mention any of his symptoms. And that he has arthritis. Was this confirmed with x-rays? At what age?

Since he is only 9 years old, arthritis usually is not seen until over 10-12 years of age. I would suspect dysplasia is the problem. This is an inherited condition that is characterized by deformed joints causing pain. I would not consider him 'lazy', but his inactivity is probably due to pain.

Here are my suggestions:

1. STOP the dry dog food. See our page on 10 Best Dog food options and consider a RAW diet for him. Or at least a good quality canned food.

To improve allergies, joint conditions, upper respiratory issues, he needs to have moisture in his diet. And it will NOT help to just add water to dry dog food. Make sure he is fed 800 calories per day, or 400 calories TWO times daily. You may need to contact the company or look it up online to find the calorie content of some dogs foods.

2. NO more vaccinations. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for an exemption to vaccinations. Conventional vaccinations will only exacerbate ALL of his problems!

And a holistic veterinarian will also be able to start treatment with homeopathic remedies to address the 'vaccinosis' condition.

3. X-RAY hips and back to diagnose if arthritis or dysplasia (or both).

4. For PAIN-this is NOT holistic, but until you can improve his diet, find a holistic veterinarian, and start immune supplements, consider giving him one baby aspirin (81 mg) with food TWO times daily for the next 3 days to see if he has a bit more energy.

3. Here is a list of immune supplements that may help him:

And also he may benefit from Canine Whole Body Support.

eye inflammation is almost gone!
by: Libby

I already started using olive oil before I got your response stating that that wouldn't help - but it has! The spot is almost gone. I put a drop or two of olive oil in his eye once/day. No luck with the congestion yet but I have not taken him to a natural vet yet. thank you.

August 13, 2013

Hi Libby,

That is great that the olive oil has helped the spot on his eye!

Have you been able to follow any of the other suggestions, such as improving his diet and the immune supplements?

- Dog Symptom Checker - Photo, Question & Answer Library for Thousands of Dog Symptoms