Dog with Red Upper Lip

by Emily
(Queensland, Australia)

This is my dog's upper lip. As you can see, It looks a little swollen/puffy but not heaps.

Comments for Dog with Red Upper Lip

My Online Vet Response for: Dog with Red Upper Lip

June 1, 2014

Hi Emily,

From just the photos of your dog, and no background information, the redness may have several causes:

1. contact allergy from eating from a plastic food bowl.

2. food allergy

3. canine acne

4. superficial pyoderma/infection

Other systemic issues from possible internal diseases.

I would suggest a healthy diet, NO DRY DOG food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html, and consider a RAW diet for your dog. Healthy skin needs lots of moisture, especially from the diet.

Feeding from a stainless steel or ceramic bowl.

Minimal (or no) vaccinations, until the problem is resolved.

Natural flea and tick protection, see our page on flea prevention, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-flea-medicine.html. Also, check out EVOLV, made from cedar oil, available online at, http://www.wondercide.com.

Your best option is finding a holistic veterinarian to follow up on any other diagnostic work, such as a blood panel to include thyroid, skin scraping, fungus culture, etc.

Dog with red upper lip
by: 1 yr old boxer. same way

Have you had any luck with solving the redness?

July 13, 2014

Dear 1 yr old boxer with the same problem,

"Have you had any luck with solving the redness?"

It has been 6 weeks since I posted my suggestions. Which is more than enough time for her dog to have responded. But, there has been no response from Emily since then.

Thanks for asking!