Dog with Rash on Belly

by Andrea
(VA, USA)

Problem: Rash appeared about 5 days ago. The rash on his belly has turned darker and has started to get darker and harder. Rash is also in the crease of his leg. Dog is not scratching at the rash and it doesn't appear to be bothering him.

Dog Breed: Black lab mix
Weight: ~67 lbs
Age: almost 4yrs

His diet has not changed. He has been outside more this week, but we haven't put down any yard products in the last week. If it's environment it could be that I cleaned some of our hardwood floors with Orange Glo on Monday.

Contacting you since it's been a week and the rash is still there. What can I do to make it reduce in size and go away?

Comments for Dog with Rash on Belly

My Online Vet Response for Dog with Rash on Belly

Hi Andrea,
The first step would be to find out what caused it, and then continue with the appropriate therapy.

From the photo you sent it looks suspiciously like a burn, either thermal or chemical. You mentioned that you used Orange Glo hardwood floor cleaner/polisher last Monday. And the 'rash' has been there one week. Did you notice if the rash was present before you worked on your hardwood floors?

The ingredients in Orange Glo show that it does have toxic effects on skin. From the Consumer Product Information Database, the chemical ingredients include:
Dipropylene glycol methyl ether
Tributoxyethyl phosphate

WARNINGS
"May cause irritation of respiratory tract, eyes or skin."

A thermal burn could occur from an electric blanket left on high.

Although, I am also suspicious of internal blood diseases that would cause a bruised rash-like area, such as Autoimmune hemolytic anemia, Coombs Disease or Thrombocytopenia (decreased Platelet count).

Since I am unable to make a final diagnosis from looking at the photo, I am not able to tell you how to treat it. You need to find a holistic (or conventional veterinarian), have a blood panel done to make sure your dog does not have any autoimmune diseases. If that is the case, there is no topical treatment, internal treatment must be done with support for the immune system, appropriate diet, appropriate homeopathic remedies, etc.

If the 'rash' is due to a chemical burn, and it occurred one week ago, I would clean the area very well with a mild shampoo, such as baby shampoo. Also, since he has probably ingested some of this toxic material, he will need herbs to support his liver and kidneys.

If the rash is due to a thermal burn, such as from an electric blanket, the area should again be cleaned and kept clean. And it will heal over the next 2 weeks.

Regardless of the cause, making sure your dog is on a very healthy diet is essential (see our page on the 10 Best Dog Food Options and check out the raw diets section.

In addition, do not over-vaccinate your dog!

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

Went to vet

We went to the vet since the rash was really puffy and redder last night. Plus, I caught him licking the spots. The vet gave us a medicated shampoo to use 2-3/week for a month (have to apply on the belly & let sit for 15 minutes), an e-collar, and cefpodoxime (200mg for 14 days).
If he's not improved over the next week or it comes back then they will look for yeast and other issues.

The red spots were most likely from licking, so that is why he is wearing the e-collar right now.
I am disposing of the floor cleaner, and going back to our old brand. I'm not sure if that was the cause, but better safe than sorry.

Hi Andrea,
Thank you for the update. Since your 'regular' veterinarian has prescribed a medicated shampoo and an oral antibiotic, Cefpodoxime, I presume they have diagnosed a bacterial skin infection.

Keep us posted if there are complications, or a delayed healing. Dog dietary supplements for boosting the immune system, improved diet, homeopathic remedies or Chinese herbs can also help.

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Skin Rashes, Marks, Spots, Lesions & Patches (including itchy skin and mange) Section.

Citrus / furocoumarin burns
by: Kally

I got 2nd degree burns all over my hands from the chemical furocoumarin in the citrus lime. I read that these burns often turn dark-colored. Orange glo has citrus in it.

My Online Vet Response For: Dog with Rash on Belly

April 7, 2014

Hi Kally,
Thank you for posting your experience. I do hope that you recovered ok. I have not received an update from Andrea regarding her dog. That last post was from January 2011, 3 years ago!

So, I do not know how her dog is doing, or even if the burn was from the floor cleaner or from something else.

Again, I thank you for your comments!