Dog with Irregular Eyelid Lump

by Tammy Shull
(Aspers, PA 17304 USA)

Stella's Eye 12-28-13

Stella's Eye 12-28-13

Stella's Eye 12-28-13
Stella's Eye (pulling down the eyelid) 12-28-2013
Stella's Eye
Stella Guarding the Property

My 5 1/2 year old spayed female Great Pyrenees recently developed a small lump on her lower inner eyelid. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago and it originally looked like a small film of eye discharge that could be stuck in her eye.

Upon closer examination I found that it was attached to the eyelid. It has since grown slightly larger and has a small irregular (slight cauliflower) appearance.

She is otherwise in good health and it does not seem to bother her, despite being located on the inside and rubbing against her eye.

Her medical history is extensive. She had 2 surgeries for Patella Luxation between age 1 and 2. She also had 3 surgeries for mesenteric torsion. She was born with a congenital abnormality and is missing mesentery on her small intestine, which allowed the torsion to occur.

Her first surgery was at 3 mos and she had approx 30 inches of her small intestine removed. She receives 1cc B12 monthly since she no longer absorbs B12 intestinally.

During the 2nd surgery since there was a 2nd torsion, the vet sutured the intestines to the abdominal wall. She was approximately 2 years old at the second surgery.

The third surgery was exploratory and everything was found to be functioning properly. She has had some gastric upset as a result with food allergies, so she eats a strict diet of fish and potato (Firstmate Senior Fish/Potato mixed with Firstmate Large Breed Fish/Potato) - switched approx 1 month ago from Orijen 6 fish due to the lower phosphorus content of Firstmate.

She has had slight elevation of BUN levels with bloodwork (done approx 6 months ago).

Her stool is normal with only an occasional loose stool (she also take 21st century probiotics daily)and a glucosamine/msm/chondroitin joint pill.

Her personality is very strong willed, despite having some arthritis in her knee, she is active and runs around the yard, guarding our farm. I have not noticed any change in her appetite or thirst.

Please let me know what you think. She was previously seen at VCA South Paws in Fairfax, VA for the intestinal mesenteric torsions. They do have an opthamology department, but I am nervous about anesthesia another time with her.

Thank you so much in advance for reviewing Stella's eye problem!

Comments for Dog with Irregular Eyelid Lump

My Online Vet Response for: Dog with Irregular Eyelid Lump

December 28, 2013

Hi Tammy,

Stella has quite the medical history for a relatively young dog! Considering that she has had FIVE major surgeries (almost one per year) in her life, she may not be very responsive to homeopathic treatments. Which is what I would recommend for the benign growth on her lower right eyelid. These growths/warts/skin tags usually appear from too many vaccines. Vaccines have also been known to contribute to food allergies, inhaled allergies and other immune system disorders such as autoimmune diseases.

Since Stella was born with a congenital intestinal defect, she started off compromised. Vaccinations given to her as a puppy, (and if she has had ongoing 'boosters') will NOT be conducive to her overall well being. VCA animal hospitals are a multi-billion dollar conglomerate, owning veterinary hospitals in the United States and Canada. Most of their income is derived from annual vaccinations. (See the article from Current Veterinary Therapy XI-Annual Vaccinations by Ron Schultz, DVM. Discussion from 1992 on how annual vaccinations are obsolete.)

Since she is prone to loose stool, and must be on a restrictive diet, and needs Vitamin B-12 injections monthly, I do not want to suggest any diet changes. You are already giving her a diet that she can handle and supplements for her intestine with joint support.

The homeopathic remedy THUYA is what I would suggest at this time. It is for treatment of this growth, that has appeared due to what holistic practitioners call 'vaccinosis'. Thuya occidentalis is available at health food stores or online in pellet form. Start with the 6C, 12C or 30C potency. If you use the 6C or 12C, give Stella one pellet by mouth, one time daily for 3-4 weeks. Or, it may be easier to dissolve one pellet in a 2 oz glass dropper bottle filled with Spring Water. 'Succuss' the remedy 20 times by hitting the bottom of the bottle against the palm of your hand 20 times. Then give her 1/2 dropperful of liquid one time daily. After 3-4 weeks observe the response.

If you use the 30C potency, then give her one pellet by mouth one time daily for only 3 days. Then wait for 3-4 weeks and observe the response.

Continued in Part TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Dog with Irregular Eyelid Lump PART TWO

December 28, 2013

Hi Tammy,

Here is the continuation of my response.

I suspect she may need a higher potency, such as a 100 or 200C. But these are only available to licensed holistic practitioners. In the meantime, try what I have suggested above, and report back in one month.

Also, NO MORE vaccinations!! This is where you will need to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write and exemption form for Stella.