Dog with Green Eye Gook

by Gina F.
(Guaynabo, Puerto Rico)

I have a German Shepard mix who is 11 yrs old and recently started to get this huge green gook in her eyes. What could this be and what can I do to get rid of it?

Thanks, Gina

Comments for Dog with Green Eye Gook

My Online Vet Response for: Dog with Green Eye Gook

Hi Gina,

When an older dog starts to develop increased mucous in the inner corner of both eyes, and there is no redness or inflammation of the eyes, you need to consider a number of possibilities.

1. Overall weakness in the immune system.

2. Weight loss, as the eyes are more 'sunken' the normal tears of the eyes seem to accumulate in the inner corner. Weight loss can be due to kidney or liver disease, diabetes, cancer, or other systemic illness.

3. Eye disease, which would need to be diagnosed by a local veterinarian.

It's import to keep the eyes cleaned out with saline flush, and try to correct the underlying problem in the meantime.

Other issues she has
by: Gina Frias

She also has a hard time getting up and using her back legs or maybe its her hips that hurt. And even though I do not see any type of rash her back itches her. What do you think this could be? What do you suggest I do to help her?

Hi Gina,

"hard time getting up or... using her back legs or... her hips hurt. And even though I do not see any type of rash her back itches her. What do you think this could be? What do you suggest I do to help her?"

I suspect she may have osteoarthritis in her lower back and/or hips. She may be trying to get relief by licking her back, since dogs do not have hands to massage where it hurts, they will lick the area.

Holistic methods to provide relief would include warm, soft bed with a hot water bottle, or heating pad, or maybe an ice pack. You may need to experiment to see which she prefers.

Supplementing her diet with Glucosamine/Chondroitin Sulfate Supplements 1,200-2,000mg one to two times daily will help. Along with Omega 3 fish oil for dogs about 500 mg two times daily, will act as an anti-inflammatory.

Rhus tox 6C or 12C two to three times daily, is a good homeopathic remedy for arthritis.